reducing 15mm thru axle fork to 12mm

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

2rismo

by 2rismo

Black anodising makes the world go around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

2rismo wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:24 pm
Black anodising makes the world go around.
I debated gold as I figured I could charge more that way but decided to stick with black in the end. Those axles are headed for their acid bath soon.

joejack951

by joejack951

Axles arrive Monday! Domane Disc and Fox inserts on track for mid/late April. My apologies to anyone itching to get out on a new set of 12mm wheels with these bikes/forks. Nothing is moving as quickly as it normally does and it’s painful for me, too.

Moving forward, I’m going to begin including axles with all conversion kits as I think my prices are competitive enough that most will opt to just buy from me even when an alternative exists. Pricing will be as follows:

‘Standard’ kits: $50 (13, 15, or 19mm thread adapter; 10, 13, or 15mm thru hole insert; 130mm axle)
‘Not-So Standard’ kit: $55 (19mm thread adapter; 19mm thru hole insert; 140mm axle)
‘Beefy’ kit: $65 (24mm thread adapter; 24mm thru hole insert; 152mm axle)
3T Luteus II kit: $55 (3T hex threaded insert; 12mm thru hole insert; 130mm axle)
Focus Mares kit: $60 (Focus threaded insert; 15mm thru hole insert; 140mm axle)
Trek Domane Disc kit: $60 (Trek threaded insert; 19mm thru hole insert; 140mm axle)
Fox non-Boost kit: $70 (Fox threaded insert; 19mm thru hole insert; 152mm axle)

Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, I had a Lynskey customer help me work out a replacement insert for their PRO GR fork. The original fork came with a M14x2mm threaded axle....wth? Luckily, the insert is easily swapped. Not sure exactly when that will be available but it is coming. It will be $55 when available.

joejack951

by joejack951

Nothing much to report but I did take some better pictures of the axles. No unexpected delays other than what's already been reported.

joejack951

by joejack951

In transit! Fox and Trek Domane Disc inserts to complete those conversion kits (thru hole inserts and thru axles already in my possession).

2rismo

by 2rismo

Awesome. Can not wait!

joejack951

by joejack951

That was a painful wait, but they have finally arrived!

Trek Domane Disc forks:

Fox 32/34/36 15x100 forks:

Also of note, a few other new applications...

Giant TCX:

Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie (no pics yet)

Fern:

2rismo

by 2rismo

Congratulations.

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Awesome work - if I didn't already have a set of nice MTB wheels I'd be all over the TCX insert.

joejack951

by joejack951

A couple more updates:

1. Trek Boone/Crocketts kits are in process and should be ready in roughly a month. I saved the *best* for (almost, as I seem to be continually finding new forks) last. These fork have M14x1.5mm threads built into the fork leg, not as part of a removable insert as most forks with that threading use (like the Trek Domane, 3T Luteus II, Fox). This arrangement forced a different style of conversion, one that I considered initially for all forks but deemed unnecessarily complicated at the time. The thread adapter will actually be stainless steel due to the thin walls of the adapter and will use a special locking nut to avoid more permanent means of fixation. Exploded view of kit:

2. Lynskey PRO GR kits are due in soon. I learned recently that Lynskey also makes a PRO CX fork which, of course, doesn't use the same kit but at least does use a standard kit of mine (the 15+10, more on that below). PRO GR inserts:

3. I often have mentioned kits sizes like '15+10", '13+13', or '24+24', etc. but I realize that I have never really illustrated what this means. So here goes.

'15+10' signifies a 15mm wide threaded dropout and a 10mm wide thru hole/unthreaded dropout. With that configuration, a stock axle will measure about 125mm to traverse the width of both dropouts plus the hub (15mm + 10mm + 100mm = 125mm). It's confusing nomenclature mainly because we're talking about 15mm axles, too, which makes it an unfortunate coincidence that the most common threaded dropout width is also 15mm. Below is a drawing of one manufacturer's fork which uses the 15+10 kit to illustrate this configuration. You can see from the dimensions and tolerances why some forks require trimming of the kit. Specifically, the threaded dropout on this fork can be as thin as 14.75mm necessitating a 0.25mm trim on the 15mm wide thread adapter, otherwise it will protrude inside of the dropout. The unthreaded dropout can be 9.8mm or up to 10.2mm so it may or may not require trimming of the 10mm wide insert.

4. Finally, I uploaded a new video to YouTube giving a brief update on the project and showing a few changes from the early prototypes to the current state of things. I'll be updating again once some of the above parts arrive, including an install video that Trek Boone/Crockett kit.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

A new type of axle to solve this thread's issue, perhaps?

https://gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-tech/ ... 5mm-forks/

joejack951

by joejack951

UpFromOne wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 10:06 pm
A new type of axle to solve this thread's issue, perhaps?

https://gravelcyclist.com/bicycle-tech/ ... 5mm-forks/
Hmmm, I wonder who makes those.... :mrgreen:

AZR3

by AZR3

Just saw the article on gravelcyclist, nice! Helped me out with my original 3T Exploro, nice not to be limited to 15x100 up front anymore

Omiar

by Omiar

Can you do custom lenght 12x100/142 axles?
My road bike has axles with non-removable handle and as we all like to look like pro's, I bought DT Swiss axles with the removable handle. Those are a bit too wide, front about 2-3mm and rear 5mm. I could have them shortened, but spending the time going through all this trouble - I might as well buy some correct lenght ones from somebody who knows what he is doing - if the price isn't too steep (since it custom).

You probably can expand your potential customer base who are in similar situation.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

joejack951

by joejack951

Omiar wrote:
Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:48 pm
Can you do custom lenght 12x100/142 axles?
My road bike has axles with non-removable handle and as we all like to look like pro's, I bought DT Swiss axles with the removable handle. Those are a bit too wide, front about 2-3mm and rear 5mm. I could have them shortened, but spending the time going through all this trouble - I might as well buy some correct lenght ones from somebody who knows what he is doing - if the price isn't too steep (since it custom).

You probably can expand your potential customer base who are in similar situation.
Hi Omiar,

Which lengths are you looking for? I currently stock 130, 140, and 152mm axles but am adding 121 and 126mm in the next few weeks. These are all lengths to match my various conversion kits, most of which aren't lengths you'll see elsewhere so maybe I have something for you. I can also supply 2mm spacers with any of these for minor length adjustments, or trim to your spec. Just keep in mind that any trimming exposes bare aluminum which I can touchup, but it won't ever be as durable as the original finish (an aesthetic concern only).

If you truly want/need something custom, I can do that, too, but there's obviously a cost (and lead time) associated with it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com