reducing 15mm thru axle fork to 12mm

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

joejack951

by joejack951

TJH wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:25 pm
I would very much like a pair of your inserts to allow me to mix wheels between bikes. My Genesis Datum 2018 has 15mm through axle forks with 10.5mm thickness dropouts on both sides. I'm happy to pay. Can you help? Tim (UK)
Hey Tim, I’d be happy to help. The existing kit parts can be made to work for you fork. The threaded adapter will need ~4.5mm removed. The insert for the thru hole side should work as-is. PM or email me at joe@jjpne.com and we can work out the rest of the details.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SirRidealot

by SirRidealot

I know I come late to this "dimention wishing party" and I probably have an odd one. I would like to fit a 12mm Son dynamo hub to a RockShox mountainbike fork. The RockShox has 25mm wide dropouts for a 15mm thru-axel. The hub has a standard 12mm/100mm axel. :D
One thing that really differ on the RockShox, compared to road forks is that the treads are not going all the way through, only 7-8mm, then its just a plain hole.
The thing is that I will ride a really gritty endurance race(1200km) in the spring and would like to use my gravel-isch dynamo wheel to be self sufficient on electricity for lights and navigation.
Attachments
ACA4BC20-6557-49BD-AE00-2A796B49259A.jpeg
5C93B32D-6D09-489F-87B9-F7953FDBE681.jpeg

joejack951

by joejack951

SirRidealot wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:43 pm
I know I come late to this "dimention wishing party" and I probably have an odd one. I would like to fit a 12mm Son dynamo hub to a RockShox mountainbike fork. The RockShox has 25mm wide dropouts for a 15mm thru-axel. The hub has a standard 12mm/100mm axel. :D
One thing that really differ on the RockShox, compared to road forks is that the treads are not going all the way through, only 7-8mm, then its just a plain hole.
The thing is that I will ride a really gritty endurance race(1200km) in the spring and would like to use my gravel-isch dynamo wheel to be self sufficient on electricity for lights and navigation.
Interesting application, and it gives me a good excuse to make a 'one size fits all' kit for non-conforming forks. I did some digging and RockShox makes a 12mm x 1.5mm x 160mm long thru axle which could work for you IF you have a boost fork. If not, I am not sure which axle to suggest as I am not seeing any 12mm x 1.5mm x 150mm axles out there. It is possible I could make something custom but the price would be considerably more than an off-the-shelf axle (likely $100+ for a one-off).

Here's the Rockshox axle for reference: https://www.modernbike.com/rockshox-max ... ength-road

SirRidealot

by SirRidealot

I have to admit that I didn't think of the availability of axles. But as it's such a rare combination, then of course, there will be no axles available.

joejack951

by joejack951

SirRidealot wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:11 pm
I have to admit that I didn't think of the availability of axles. But as it's such a rare combination, then of course, there will be no axles available.
So is this something you still want to pursue? That 160mm axle could be cut down by 10mm and have ~10mm of additional threads cut on it to produce what you need. Given how these axles are made, there must be sufficient material there to thread. It just won't look all that nice as those new threads will be bare aluminum.

CEMIII70

by CEMIII70

joejack951 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:03 pm
Because this is Weight Weenies...

Hey Joe,
How do I reach you so I can get you the measurements you require to insure a proper fit. I saw your 15mm to 12mm Fork Thru Axle Conversion Kit on here & youtube .
You don't have a contact link on your youtube page & can only reply to you here.
I'd like to order this kit from you. My bike is in the shop at the moment but when I get it back let me know what measurements I need to take.
Attached is a pic on page 5 here are the 2015 Trek Domane front drop outs. There 2 nuts, only 1 is in the pic and you can't see the the non drive side.
I can be reached at clydeem70@gmail.com
I'm sure you have a price so the details can be worked out.

Thanks Clyde
Attachments
2015 Trek Domane front dropouts.PNG

joejack951

by joejack951

As posted at Youtube a few days ago and edited today:

Kicking off production today for the following thru axle fork conversion kits:
15x1.5mm + 10 (several manufacturers including TRP, Whiskey, Niner, some open mold road forks)
15x1mm + 15 (2015 Specialized Diverge)
13 + 13 (Parlee, Raleigh)
15 + 15 (Merida)
19 + 19 (2015-2016 Trek Domane and Crockett, some open mold CX forks)
New addition: 25 + 25 (Lauf [except for JAF], Santa Cruz Stigmata, and a few other MTB forks)

All kits except for 25+25 are $30 including shipping in the US. Add $12 for international. 25+25 kit is $35, same shipping applies. Amazon will be stocked hopefully before year end but kits should be available to ship direct by mid-December.
Last edited by joejack951 on Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SirRidealot

by SirRidealot

Sorry for not comming back, but I would like to get a couple of those 25mm wide adapter for my RockShox fork. I'll sort the axle myself.
Look forward to an order link to Amazon!
😁

joejack951

by joejack951

SirRidealot wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:16 pm
Sorry for not comming back, but I would like to get a couple of those 25mm wide adapter for my RockShox fork. I'll sort the axle myself.
Look forward to an order link to Amazon!
😁
Production is basically on schedule. Had a minor delay of a few days waiting on some custom thread gauges but otherwise on track. Still mid-December for direct ordering, but likely early January 2020 for Amazon.

joejack951

by joejack951

Not the most exciting news as I'm not quite ready to ship but here are in-process pics of all the threaded adapters and inserts that will very soon be available to purchase. These ought to cover 99% of applications out there, most of which with no trimming required. I'm not opposed to making more variations, of course. I'm still debating making custom thru axles to use with these kits as the axle lengths required for a 'perfect' fit don't necessarily exist. We'll see how this project goes for the time being.

joe@jjpne.com if you have any questions about ordering. Please ask any general product questions here so that others can be informed as well.

joejack951

by joejack951

Santa (DHL guy) arrived early! All of the above pictured thread adapters and inserts have arrived and are ready to ship out. Pre-orders will go out tomorrow and I'll be able to ship new direct orders immediately. I'll begin sending stock to Amazon as well but they take a while to inventory new items so expect to wait a few weeks before links are available to order there.

The only 'gotcha' I've discovered in all of this is that 3T forks are going to take some more work to arrive at a workable solution. They are going to require a special thread adapter to replace the stock fork's original. However, in creating such an adapter I will also likely have a solution for Fox suspension forks should anyone want to run a road hub'd wheel in one of them. Stay tuned.

AZR3

by AZR3

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:54 am
The only 'gotcha' I've discovered in all of this is that 3T forks are going to take some more work to arrive at a workable solution. They are going to require a special thread adapter to replace the stock fork's original. However, in creating such an adapter I will also likely have a solution for Fox suspension forks should anyone want to run a road hub'd wheel in one of them. Stay tuned.
I'll be sure to place an order when you have a solution for the 3T fork. Thanks for all your work already!

joejack951

by joejack951

AZR3 wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:15 am
I'll be sure to place an order when you have a solution for the 3T fork. Thanks for all your work already!
:beerchug: It's looking like mid-late January 2020 for the 3T kit. $30 for the kit. I just need to confirm a few final details and we'll be ready to start cutting aluminum.

Preview:

AZR3

by AZR3

Looks great and I'm not in any hurry :beerchug:

joejack951

by joejack951

Got the 3T Luteus II fork in the mail today and was able to finalize the threaded insert dimensions. I'm releasing a similar threaded insert design for Focus Mares RAT forks at the same time. Both kits will yield some weight savings with the Focus kit cutting about 50 grams off the RAT original equipment parts. The 3T thru axle is a real porker at nearly 60 grams so replacing it with any decent weight 12mm thru axle will save some grams there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com