Light Chinese XC FS frame options?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Bream

by Bream

Has anyone gone and bought direct from Asia an open mould light FS XC frame? Any experience?

I'd love a Scott Spark RC 900 SL frame to start a new WW build but quite honestly the eye watering price tag puts me off :o

Just wondered if there was a similar weight option (~1.8kg) from Asia that won't break the bank or snap after 6 months?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I think that 1.8kg with a shock can't be achieved with any current open mold FS frame. Still, you might want to take a look on LCFS911, which is very similar to Spark. There's also a Dengfu M06, mine 19" version with all hardware and no shock is about 2050g, complete bike roughly 9.2kg. Both of these frames can be easily built into 8kg range with weenie parts. I advise to visit Chinertown 29er subforum for more feedback.

spud

by spud

I'd personally be reluctant to go the open mould route because the shock package depends on leverage ratios, and axle kinematics to work properly. Any suspension requires development, and it is unclear to me that the open mould people have done that work.