-

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SK5

by SK5

-
Last edited by SK5 on Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:41 am, edited 8 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

Only 2 of your pictures are working.
Chasse patate

SK5

by SK5

That's weird . It works fine on the desktop but on the phone it only shows two pictures :noidea: .

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

SK5 wrote:That's weird . It works fine on the desktop but on the phone it only shows two pictures :noidea: .

Check out file access settings, most likely you did not allow for other people to see it and it works fine for you because files are yours after all.

On a bike note: awesome, you are always in a league of your own! Can't wait to see the parts list and tuning details, I'm sure there'd be some neat tricks to incorporate into my own build. How do you like a short-travel Lauf on a FS bike? With those skinny tires and travel amount the bike looks more like a gravel flat bar bike (or old-school XC, lol).

SK5

by SK5

Klaster1 wrote:
SK5 wrote:That's weird . It works fine on the desktop but on the phone it only shows two pictures :noidea: .

Check out file access settings, most likely you did not allow for other people to see it and it works fine for you because files are yours after all.

On a bike note: awesome, you are always in a league of your own! Can't wait to see the parts list and tuning details, I'm sure there'd be some neat tricks to incorporate into my own build. How do you like a short-travel Lauf on a FS bike? With those skinny tires and travel amount the bike looks more like a gravel flat bar bike (or old-school XC, lol).

The Lauf works well on this bike . I modified it to shorten it as I don't like long travel suspension . The tyres are quite narrow indeed but these tyres are purely for weight weenie results . I wouldn't use them all the time . My Maxxis 285 tyres have better grip but they are on another weight weenie bike .

SK5

by SK5

----
Last edited by SK5 on Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

A very impressive weight, well done.
I must admit to expecting it to feel funny riding with the mismatch between the front and rear suspension systems in terms of the character of spring and damping, but would be prepared to be proven wrong.
As a matter of principle I only weigh a bike as ridden (in terms of core parts, ignoring lights or similar, so effectively as sold and with pedals) I don't see the point of things like tyres just for bragging rights if you don't actually use them.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

SK5

by SK5

TheRookie wrote:A very impressive weight, well done.
I must admit to expecting it to feel funny riding with the mismatch between the front and rear suspension systems in terms of the character of spring and damping, but would be prepared to be proven wrong.
As a matter of principle I only weigh a bike as ridden (in terms of core parts, ignoring lights or similar, so effectively as sold and with pedals) I don't see the point of things like tyres just for bragging rights if you don't actually use them.

Fair points . The tyres aren't the grippiest . I used them a couple of times on a different bike just to try them and they weren't great . My Maxxis 285 tyres are better but they are on my other bike . Regarding the Lauf it is just essentially fibrelgass reinforced strips that bascialy make up the suspension so no adjustments . It rebounds slowly which I think as its more controlled it feels good . There is no lockout but I don't see the point of lockout on a bike made with suspension . I do have my eye on the German:A Xcite Zero as it's only 98grams more but from what I have heard from others their weights are a bit off . I might get it next year just to see .

SK5

by SK5

I have changed the title as I got the bike lighter and have posted a full list . I think I remembered everything :lol: !!!

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

@SK5, did you weight the seatpost lock assembly? I couldn't find any relevant photos in G+. The Darimo bolts (full-length thread), barrels and CF yokes are ~16.3g in total, maybe you can shave a couple of grams there.

SK5

by SK5

Klaster1 wrote:@SK5, did you weight the seatpost lock assembly? I couldn't find any relevant photos in G+. The Darimo bolts (full-length thread), barrels and CF yokes are ~16.3g in total, maybe you can shave a couple of grams there.

No unfortunately not but I will weigh them . I have heard of Darimo . I will check them out . Cheers :) !!!

SK5

by SK5

Right I looked online and found these weights:

MCFK Pin = 9 grams
MCFK yoke clamps = 3.9*2
MCFK bolts = 3.4*2 (I also cut them down and machined the heads in the lathe so lets say 3grams each)

So that totals 22.8 so I would save 6.5 grams . I also have the AX Lightness carbon cradle which adds another 8 grams . I looked at their site and they make some pretty cool stuff . Similar to MCFK but a little lighter .

Cheers again for letting me know about them .

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

SK5 wrote:So that totals 22.8 so I would save 6.5 grams .

The weights I've quotted don't include the pin because it's bonded to the CF tube, see the album.

SK5

by SK5

Klaster1 wrote:
SK5 wrote:So that totals 22.8 so I would save 6.5 grams .

The weights I've quotted don't include the pin because it's bonded to the CF tube, see the album.

Ah I see . So the pin and cradle both come to 17 grams . If I add them to the Darimo parts that comes to 33.3 grams . My setup is 30.8 grams . Still I want to buy the Darmio parts now . They look cool . I like the carbon yoke clamps . Maybe for my next project (carbon fat bike) .

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

SK5 wrote:Frame: - , built in seatpost had to be cut and then carefully measured and drilled two holes (one slightly lower) to fit seat pin and then top sections machined into a curve to allow a cradle to be fitted all for a saddle installation without installing a heavy ISP and bosses filled with 4 aluminium Ashima rotor bolts machined heavily in the lathe and stems shortened and deburred

I did spot that when your photos were working and have to question if that is safe. All the posts that use that type of fitment I have, have a aluminium alloy insert bonded as additional strength for the pin and the craddle. The wall of the carbon ISP tube are thin and it was never designed to take the loads that you are now applying to them.

I would recommend you strengthen that area as I can see the pin ripping out of the ISP.

Also I'd like to hear how that fork perform in muddy conditions. :?