-

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SK5

by SK5

02GF74 wrote:
SK5 wrote:Frame: - , built in seatpost had to be cut and then carefully measured and drilled two holes (one slightly lower) to fit seat pin and then top sections machined into a curve to allow a cradle to be fitted all for a saddle installation without installing a heavy ISP and bosses filled with 4 aluminium Ashima rotor bolts machined heavily in the lathe and stems shortened and deburred

I did spot that when your photos were working and have to question if that is safe. All the posts that use that type of fitment I have, have a aluminium alloy insert bonded as additional strength for the pin and the craddle. The wall of the carbon ISP tube are thin and it was never designed to take the loads that you are now applying to them.

I would recommend you strengthen that area as I can see the pin ripping out of the ISP.

Also I'd like to hear how that fork perform in muddy conditions. :?

All my Schmolke and MCFK posts are all carbon with no inserts but you might have a point on the strength as this section wasn't designed for this setup . I could reinforce the inside with additional fabric . Cheers .

I haven't got round to riding this bike in full mud just yet . Mostly dry rough terrain . I would imagine if mud got caught between the blades then it could cause some compression issues . I know a lot of people who have this fork have ridden it in the mud and have no issues .

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The lauf works fine in mud, I know three local riders and my part of the UK is pretty muddy in winter, none has had an issue.

What head angle do you have from shortening the forks, must be pretty steep!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SK5

by SK5

TheRookie wrote:The lauf works fine in mud, I know three local riders and my part of the UK is pretty muddy in winter, none has had an issue.

What head angle do you have from shortening the forks, must be pretty steep!

It is and I also have the -12degree slammed stem to boot . I was going to fit the top headset cover but Chris King have a habit of making really thick covers and that would raise the stem more than I wanted . FYI I have no back problems from this low front end.....so far :shock: !!!

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Low front end and the effect of steep geometry are different.......
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

BTw,you have very nice cat :)

LeDuke

by LeDuke

What is that, a 74 degree HTA?