29er stems

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Hi all

New bike arrives tomorrow and the upgrades will start soon. A new stem will be amongst the first things i fit.
I'm looking for a nice drop so a -17 degree ideally. I had thought about a KCNC arrow but don't really like all the logos on it (not sure that they'll come off with acetone) the Kalloy Uno is an obvious choice too but I'm interested to hear what other people are using.
I've seen the Syntace flat force and Fsa slk drop stems but they're both pretty expensive for how heavy they are.

scant

by scant

i've been running these for over a year now without isues. lightweight & subdued logos too :)
https://www.wrensports.com/super-lightw ... stems.html

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Dulight.fr sells Lyti stem, which is on par with tuned Kalloy and Wren.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

burglarboycie wrote:Hi all

New bike arrives tomorrow and the upgrades will start soon. A new stem will be amongst the first things i fit.
I'm looking for a nice drop so a -17 degree ideally. I had thought about a KCNC arrow but don't really like all the logos on it (not sure that they'll come off with acetone) the Kalloy Uno is an obvious choice too but I'm interested to hear what other people are using.
I've seen the Syntace flat force and Fsa slk drop stems but they're both pretty expensive for how heavy they are.

The Syntace stem is designed to be used on any bike you might possibly need to use it on.

It's designed to be strong, first and foremost, and as light as possible while meeting that high standard of strength.

I wouldn't think twice about using it on a DH bike. And, there aren't any -17 degree stems that are going to do what the FlatForce does, in terms of dropping your bars.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I'm running a Kalloy Uno and have been for 20 months, (7 degree not a 17), with a Ti bolt (sold for a Ritchey stem - same sizes) set it comes in at 88g for a 70mm. It feels really stiff, no visible flex when leaning down on one bar end stationary.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I've used a flatforce in the past. Excellent stem, as all Syntaces are. The quoted sizes are weird though, so don't believe what they state. If you need, say 100mm, then buy a 'shorter' one.

simoncx

by simoncx

I received a syntace f109 last week and I have to say it is very nice and right on the weight they stated, 122g for the 110mm. Also have an older 3t team with the 2 bolt steer tube clamp on another bike which is also nice and about the same weight.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Anyone found a lighter alternative to the Syntace FlatForce?

It's a great stem, but a bit of a pig.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

spookyload

by spookyload

Check out the KTM site. I just got one of their Prime stems. The 90mm stem came in at 98g. I was shocked how light it was for aluminum. Small orange logos painted on and comes off with acetone very easy.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

spookyload wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:59 am
Check out the KTM site. I just got one of their Prime stems. The 90mm stem came in at 98g. I was shocked how light it was for aluminum. Small orange logos painted on and comes off with acetone very easy.
just another re-badged kalloy uno :)

jooo

by jooo

Has anyone tried this Token? https://www.tokenproducts.com/comps/ste ... x-stem-317
Seems decent value for money compared to some options, especially if you can save a few grams with Ti bolts. Maybe it's just me, but a quick search doesn't seem to show any measured weights though :noidea:

If only the Intend came in a lower version, it would be a good WW option: https://www.intend-bc.com/products/stems/grace-xc/

spookyload

by spookyload

vejnemojnen wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:25 am
spookyload wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:59 am
just another re-badged kalloy uno :)
Don't know. I do know it is alloy and below 100g and 90mm. Not many stems for MTB carbon or alloy fall into that range. Enve, Zipp and Easton will all be more.

joshpeck

by joshpeck

Zipp service course stems look great on MTB imo and are quite light and stiff

stoney

by stoney

I love my Ritchey WCS -17 stem!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rich_W

by Rich_W