Rodie/gravel rider seeking advice for a budget mtb hardtail purchase

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi all

After many years on road/gravel bikes I am looking for a mtb hardtail for this years winter training.

The budget is limited to roughly EUR 2.000.

I am interested in a 1 x setup and preferally an alu frame.

My attention is currently on the Specialized Chisel Expert 1x.

As I am quite new to mtb and the components within I would appreciate feedback on the bike in general, its components and also the preferred frame size for me.

I am 174 cm and have an inseam of 83 cm.

BR
Christian

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

The Chisel looks to be a good bike, it's very new so I doubt many people have ridden one yet. I would also consider looking at the Canyon Grand Canyon SLX 9.9 Trail, has a higher spec (X1/XO1 Eagle bits) for the same price (depending on where you're based)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

Pick the medium for both.

The spesh has typical current XC geometry. If you are going to ride significant amounts of single track, the canyon would be much more fun. Better kit, more travel/slacker and has a dropper. All of which makes it heavier and boring if all you will be riding is fire road.
Chasse patate

morganb

by morganb

I would steer you towards the Canyon at that price point mainly because the Specialized mountain wheels are garbage until you get to the level where they are using DT internals. I used to work at a dealer and all of the freehubs on their budget and even bikes that are in the 2-3k range fail. The Canyon also just has way better parts all around. The current gen Performance Fox stuff works really well and the frames are going to not have much between them.

by 573

As per one of the posters above, what's your intended use? I have a Whyte 905 which I love, but it's a trail bike, very slack and great for throwing about. It's not what you'd choose to ride fast fire roads though.

Champ5000

by Champ5000

Hi all

Thanks for your feedback.

I will only be using the bike on fire roads.

I would prefer as much race machine (lightest, stiffest and aggressive position on the bike) as possible as the money allow.

jeroenfl

by jeroenfl

For winter gravel/fire roads I'd stick to cx/gravel bikes. An XC will make those rather boring. I don't mean that XC bikes are boring, and if you had one, I would probably recommend not to bother with a gravel bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com