Recommend me tire for tough terrain...

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

3Pio

by 3Pio

Hi there.

I was riding MTB since 1994, also racing, but in 2011 i switched to road bike, and only few rides last years..Anyway, since i still have my Specialized Epic Marathon Carbon 2007 which i like a lot, and since im not riding MTB that often last year replace the rear brain shock, and upgrade the wheelset with Mavic CrossMax. Most of the time i ride XC, and going uphill is what i like, so im using in this moment Scwalbe ThunderBurt 2.1Evo SnakeSkin PaceStar Tires going tubeless.

This weekend ill ride 140 km in total wilderness (more then 3000m climbing), rock gardens terrain on some part, on some maybe mud, loose terrain and also hard pack (so different type). Im worried that Scwalbe im using will be not suitable for rock gardens there and loose terrain i can expected.

So what do u suggest? Should i switch them? Or they will be ok for this one day ride? Reliability is very important for this ride since it's wilderness and if i have cut in tire will be real problem (no acess for regular cars).

If i need to switch them available tires localy in this moment are:

1. Maxxis Advantage 26x2.10 M311P Wire

2. Maxis Tubeless Beaver EXO TR 26x2.0 Foldable

3. Maxxis Tubeless CrossMark EXO TR 26x2.1 Fodable

4. Maxis Ignitor 26x2.10 M304 Wire

5. Maxxis IKON 26.x2.20 M319P Wire (im not sure that Epic Frame have enough clearance for 2.20)

6. Maxxis Larsen 26x2.0 M132P Wire

From all this look like Beaver could be the one? Or im wrong since there will be parts with loose rocks (about 20-30 km maybe)

So what do u suggest ? Ideal will be to provide me reliability on this ride, and in same time to be lightweight and fast to be able to use as all around tire in the future.. Or maybe to be tire that i'll use when the weather is bad, so that mean riding in mud, snow...And i will use with STAN sealant without tube..

Thanks a lot

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I'd go with a Schwalbe Rocket Ron up front and Racing Ralph out back, EVO Pacestar compound, folding bead and snakeskin. Ready availability worldwide online.

Otherwise of them the Beaver.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

3Pio

by 3Pio

TheRookie wrote:I'd go with a Schwalbe Rocket Ron up front and Racing Ralph out back, EVO Pacestar compound, folding bead and snakeskin. Ready availability worldwide online.

Otherwise of them the Beaver.

I wont be able to order them online and to have them tommorow when i need to install.

So i was thinking to go with IKON Wire since im reading that Beaver is fragile tire for Rock terrain on the sidewalls.

So which one u think will have better protection? IKON Wire with Inner Tubes or Beaver running tubeless with sealant?

The place where ill riding will have some sharp rocks