XX1 (10-42) Cassette with XTR Deraillieur

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DOUG

by DOUG

So I've been running a full XTR 1x11 setup on my F-Si with an XT (11-42) cassette for some time now with no problems but wanted to go with something lighter as the XT cassette whilst reliable is a bit of a boat anchor. A friend had a spare Mavic XD driver lying around so thought id give the SRAM XX1 (10-42) a try as I have read that they're compatible with the XTR shifters. Extra range and drop a couple of hundred grams, fantastic!

So XD driver installed and fitted the cassette with no problems, fitted a new chain as the old one was already 3/4 worn. So far so good. That is until it came to setting up the rear derailleur. It seems as though the XX1 cassette sits a few mm further inboard compared to the XT cassette. This means that even with the upper limit screw all the way out the rear mech is still not far enough across the cassette to engage the 42T cog correctly. The result is that I need way too much cable tension just to get it to go into the 42T and indexing is a long way off.

Decided to cut my losses and put the standard driver + XT cassette back on. No issues setting this up and shifting/indexing is now back to normal.

So my question is, have i missed something here and has anyone run into this problem before? Do I need some sort of spacer/washer behind the cassette to bring it back within the limits of the rear mech? I've setup plenty of new drive trains but never had any issues with alignment of the rear cassette and rear mech. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

DOUG

by DOUG

Anyone?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lars K. P.

by Lars K. P.

I had same setup, but without the mentioned issue! My wheel was DT Swiss hub
Lars K. P.

stoney

by stoney

I have the same setup, XTR rear derailleur with 10-42 X01 cassette, on Specialized Roval Control carbon wheel with their XD driver and it shifts perfectly.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

DOUG wrote:This means that even with the upper limit screw all the way out the rear mech is still not far enough across the cassette to engage the 42T cog correctly. The result is that I need way too much cable tension just to get it to go into the 42T and indexing is a long way off.

This seems to summarise your issue, you are having to pull the mech past the stop position to get it onto the 42T.

Your nomeclature is off, there is no 'upper limit screw' of course, just high and low, you should be adjusting the low screw for the 42t (lowest gear) and while it's inconclusive if I read 'upper' as 'high' you were backing off the wrong one.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

DOUG

by DOUG

TheRookie wrote:
DOUG wrote:This means that even with the upper limit screw all the way out the rear mech is still not far enough across the cassette to engage the 42T cog correctly. The result is that I need way too much cable tension just to get it to go into the 42T and indexing is a long way off.

This seems to summarise your issue, you are having to pull the mech past the stop position to get it onto the 42T.

Your nomeclature is off, there is no 'upper limit screw' of course, just high and low, you should be adjusting the low screw for the 42t (lowest gear) and while it's inconclusive if I read 'upper' as 'high' you were backing off the wrong one.

Either way I think you understood what I was saying though, but thanks for the correction. At any rate I was adjusting the correct limit screw (i.e. the low screw) regardless of whether my nomenclature was correct, so it doesn't really summarise my issue.

The spacing for the SRAM cassette is way off for some reason (e.g. there is enough room for the chain to drop between the 10T and the dropout) so the question is what to do about it, is there a Mavic specific spacer that would do the job? Perhaps a Mavic 10speed spacer for the 11speed hub would do the trick but it just seems unusual that I would have to go to those lengths. Thinking about swapping the front chain ring to a 34 and running the OneUp gearing with an XTR casette instead. It wouldnt be as light as the XX1 but it would increase the range and at least I wouldn't have to muck around with spacers and what not.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Are you using the correct endcap?
Using Tapatalk

DOUG

by DOUG

Yep correct end cap, came with the XD driver, not sure how that might cause the issue though? For the record it's a QR rear (Cannondale, go figure) but i don't see that this would make any difference.

Mtek

by Mtek

Really wish I could help, im running xx1 with a rf crank. Does boost/non boost affect this maybe for your hub endcap?

TheRookie

by TheRookie

DOUG wrote:
TheRookie wrote:

Either way I think you understood what I was saying though, but thanks for the correction. At any rate I was adjusting the correct limit screw (i.e. the low screw) regardless of whether my nomenclature was correct, so it doesn't really summarise my issue.

The spacing for the SRAM cassette is way off for some reason (e.g. there is enough room for the chain to drop between the 10T and the dropout) so the question is what to do about it, is there a Mavic specific spacer that would do the job? Perhaps a Mavic 10speed spacer for the 11speed hub would do the trick but it just seems unusual that I would have to go to those lengths. Thinking about swapping the front chain ring to a 34 and running the OneUp gearing with an XTR casette instead. It wouldnt be as light as the XX1 but it would increase the range and at least I wouldn't have to muck around with spacers and what not.

I didn't know which stop you were adjusting, no, but my summary is still right.

No you can't use a cassette spacer due to the very different attachment method of an XD cassette. This really should work fine and I still think it's a build/setup issue.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

DOUG

by DOUG

TheRookie wrote:
DOUG wrote:
TheRookie wrote:

I didn't know which stop you were adjusting, no, but my summary is still right.

No you can't use a cassette spacer due to the very different attachment method of an XD cassette. This really should work fine and I still think it's a build/setup issue.

Ok I was adjusting the correct limit screw so we can rule that out.

I'm running the same cassette with an XD driver on my CX bike so haven't had any issues installing the XD driver or the XX1 cassette previously. Also as soon as i put the standard driver and XT cassette back on I no longer have any problems setting up the limits and the cassette is spaced correctly. Obviously there is a "setup" issue, I'm honestly at a loss trying to figure out what it is though and haven't been able to find anyone else with a similar issue.

It's just a bit frustrating! Will have another go and take some pictures during the week and see if I can better show the nature of the problem. I feel as though something is being lost on translation.

Kristinka

by Kristinka

DOUG wrote:Yep correct end cap, came with the XD driver, not sure how that might cause the issue though?

When your end cup is wider than recomended the cassette is more inboard (more left). Your derailleur is too far right so it does not have the range to shift to the biggest 42T cog.
Both Shimano and Sram cassettes have the same width. Just measure what is the distance between the smallest cog and the end cap end with Shimano cassette and driver and the compare the distance with Sram XD driver and cassette on.

BikeKingV1r

by BikeKingV1r

Yes super strange for sure. I'm also running a XTR RD with a XX1 cassette.

Hope you get this figured out.

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

I was using XX1 cassette with my XTR RD no problems, then I went to the e*thirteen TRS Race 11 Speed 9-46t Cassette, & OneUp Shark cage. Works awesome I love the range :thumbup:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/787144841093477640/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

+1 I am using XD 10-42 cassette with 11 speed XT (will be changing to XTR at some point) on 2 different bikes (cannondale and specialized) without any shifting issues.