9 speed trigger shifting

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Methinks I am going to fire my Shimano triggers.

Guess Sram is the option/s? I even might further regress into the .. dare I admit this.. the world of *8 speed rears.

Light/est.. very reliable.. best functioning. Your past experience/s would be most helpful.

Thanks.

*Just something in the water I consume I guess. Fitness rider I am... running 3 rings in front.. chain life of 8's is excellent... double 9's. Just sometimes forget to gauge the 9's... for wear.
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MikeD

by MikeD

I had Shimano 8 speed. 9 is better because of the trigger and thumb action plus wider gear range. Shimano is also better than SRAM. Had those too.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

MikeD wrote:I had Shimano 8 speed. 9 is better because of the trigger and thumb action plus wider gear range. Shimano is also better than SRAM. Had those too.

Thanks Mike.

I'll suggest an 8 speed is as good as.. better than a 9. Why? Chain life.. around 60-100% better. So.. you make the choice of what gear to drop... the 13-26 8 gets most everything done if one carries al rings in triplet... the 26-30 small one a bailout gear... hence no need to carry on in the rear cogs.

Shimano triggers function quite differently.. and that does depend on how their set up.. wire tension and the choice of rear de. But frankly I am all that happy with any of them. I road tested a mid range Scram recently and thought is was very decent. Distinct feel when the gear is engaged downshifting rather than the blow by one can get w some Shimano systems.

I have not used the high end (?) SLX system.. was following a few slimbay auctions recently and they went for 140's. Ball bearings... shorter throw I think.. would like to get some input on those.

But I'm in the world of flat bar bikes ... I like to see the world sans cranking my neck or riding on my scrotum.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Apart from the appalling writing which makes knowing what you are saying kind of hard, your views are a bit messed up.

I ran 9 speed for ages, never had any issue with it, super reliable, chain life is fine and certainly nothing like as short as half of a 7/8 speed.

All your issues seem to suggest poor set-up and maintenance to be honest.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

WinterRider

by WinterRider

TheRookie wrote:Apart from the appalling writing which makes knowing what you are saying kind of hard, your views are a bit messed up.

I ran 9 speed for ages, never had any issue with it, super reliable, chain life is fine and certainly nothing like as short as half of a 7/8 speed.

All your issues seem to suggest poor set-up and maintenance to be honest.

LOL.. made my day. I doubt you run any real mileage.... and yes some make a life out of chain maintenance.. I do not. Scrub off your keyboard and then run the brush tween your ears.. lots of space there.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

WinterRider wrote:I'll suggest an 8 speed is as good as..better than a 9

As good as what?

WinterRider wrote: carries al rings in triplet

What's an al ring?

WinterRider wrote:Shimano triggers function quite differently.. and that does depend on how their set up

No, they always work the same!

WinterRider wrote: mid range Scram recently

A what?

WinterRider wrote:Distinct feel when the gear is engaged downshifting rather than the blow by one can get w some Shimano systems.

Blow by? w?? Can honestly say a SRAM (or even a scram I guess) feels little different when downshifting to Shimano.

WinterRider wrote:I have not used the high end (?) SLX system

XTR is high end, SLX is decidedly mid-range, your knowledge is a long way off which brings other implications for your advice really.
As for what's between the ears, please see notes above.

I do over 2k miles a year, more than enough to judge chain life thanks.

WinterRider

by WinterRider

^
I hit the snooze button .. time for a nap .. better use of the time. :roll:

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Yeah, better than learning something eh?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com