Look S trac with Sauser cage question

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mtek

by Mtek

Hello all,

I searched but could not find much info on the Look S track ti carbon, let alone the Sauser cage accessory. I'm interested in the versatility these offer, and it looks like they would shed dirt really well when cage-less. Any info or advise appreciated. Btw, my only experience is with xt/xtr pedals...so anyone familiar with both please chime in.

by Weenie

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Pedals are almost as personal a choice as saddles, I would suggest buying some cheap Looks initially or borrowing a set from a friend if you can, to see if you get on with the engagement/release before spending the coin on the very lovely carbon Ti versions. Personally having tried crank bros and Look, I went back to Shimano and never "looked" back :D
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

Pegoretti Responsorium, Parlee Z5i, Donhou Commuter, 1946 MacLeans Featherweight L'Eroica!, 2x MTB 'dales

Mtek

by Mtek

Very good advice, agree, but putting the cages on the Looks is a really interesting idea to me. As you may know, the cages turns them into flats. I like the versatility, without going to a heavier dual side pedal or swapping pedals all together. I have no issues with my well used xtr, just considering a change.

CycloTron

by CycloTron

I use them on my hardtail MTB (Look 986) and love them! Very secure feeling, some float and not hard to get out when you need to.

I have the midrange carbon (non-Ti) version which came in a set with the cages.

Be aware that even with the cage on, the clip mechanism will still protrude, but it will nonetheless allow use of flat shoes, but not 100% comfortable.
It really is designed to be used with cleats and the cage attachment is to provide extra surface area for the shoe interface, especially when going downhill.