factory lightweight hardtails?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

martyh

by martyh

Hey folks,
Thinking about investing in a new hardtail mtb... looking for something light, with sram shifting... 9kg range or lighter? Is that even possible? (not sure what is actually possible with mtbs....) Some googling shows up things like a ktm 29'er that is in the 8kg range... or the radon jealous?
I'm new to the mtb world, so recommendations, advice appreciated!

Marty

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

marecej

by marecej

Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

stoney

by stoney

2017 Scott Scale RC 900 SL.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It is doable. Mine is 10kg with a 2kg frame. Even with that frame I can shave 1kg off with ease.

Start with a frame and build it up. You will need to use some fairly light parts but this does not mean unreliable just expensive.

Race Face Next SL chainset, XTR shifting parts 1x11 using a road cassette or SRAM XX1, a lauf fork, carbon frame, and extralite bar and stem. Selle Italia carbon saddle and woodman Carbo EL seatpost.

wheels could be carbon tubular with Carbon ti hubs using Dugast Ori tubeless tubular tyres. Or go with conventional tubeless rims and light weight tyre like conti race king race sports which can be run tubeless.

I have not added it all up but it could be very light.

martyh

by martyh

any recommendations on the frame?

was looking at the radon jealous - anyone any thoughts on that one?

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

This Radon looks good. 890g boost frame for 1500E,nice.

2wheeltyson

by 2wheeltyson

stoney wrote:2017 Scott Scale RC 900 SL.

I tried to buy this bike but they are sold out!
So I bought the brand new S-Works Epic hardtail World Cup... My size small with only changing the grips and tires is sub 8kg!!!

glander

by glander

IMG_4638.JPG
Yesturday was my first ride on the new Specialized Epic HT, wow I have had an Epic World Cup in the past, stumpy, custom HT, high end CX bikes but this bike, wow, strait out of the box is amazing to ride. Here is a pic....

02GF74

by 02GF74

I have 2017 mondraker podium rr sl, Large frame, weighs in at 8.42 kg Inc pedals.

Downside is the price.

boots2000

by boots2000

My medium Specialized Epic hardtail is 8.4 kg.
Bought as a stock bike- Changes include Quarq, different bars (Truvativ T30 carbon), ESI grips and Fox SC 32 fork, XTR 9000 brakes and R86 rotors.
2x King ti cages, barfly mount for Wahoo, and Time Atax 12 pedals.

I could easily get another 500 grams out of hte bike but it would not perform as well as it does.

glander

by glander

glander wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:07 pm
IMG_4638.JPG

Yesturday was my first ride on the new Specialized Epic HT, wow I have had an Epic World Cup in the past, stumpy, custom HT, high end CX bikes but this bike, wow, strait out of the box is amazing to ride. Here is a pic....
What grips did you go with? Lizard Skins or ESI? Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

boots2000 wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:06 pm
My medium Specialized Epic hardtail is 8.4 kg.
Bought as a stock bike- Changes include Quarq, different bars (Truvativ T30 carbon), ESI grips and Fox SC 32 fork, XTR 9000 brakes and R86 rotors.
2x King ti cages, barfly mount for Wahoo, and Time Atax 12 pedals.

I could easily get another 500 grams out of hte bike but it would not perform as well as it does.
I think the last sentence here needs to be emphasized.

It's one thing to have a light bike. It's another thing to have a light bike that can actually make it up and down a mountain without flatting or breaking something. If people want a bike that looks good on a scale, great. I want a bike that can survive a trip to Moab, or my daily rides here in the Rockies.

Personally, I can't ride sub-600g tires like the new S-Works (apparently their WC guys can't, either). My trails are too rocky for that.