FSA carbon spider

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Yorl

by Yorl

Morning everyone!
I got an FSA carbon crankset, with the separate carbon spider (BCD110) with a 50-39 installed. Being unfit as I am, I wanted to go 40-29, but I'd need a different spider. Anyone knows where I could get one?
Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Is that on a real bike or one of those things with funny bendy bars?
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Yorl

by Yorl

It comes from a funnybars bike, but going on a real one (Adroit) I am not young anymore, so 50-39 is NOT HAPPENING

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

With the rise of 3D printing these days, maybe someone could print you out a custom spider?

poynt

by poynt

Has anyone used any of the Carbon-Ti X-Spiders. They come in most of the crank combos and seem a good light weight alternative.

jfranci3

by jfranci3

No idea where you're going to find a 29/40 chainring set, but I assume it is a MTB chainring set. I think 110bcd is the smallest you can go for road cranksets. Note that most MTB rings are four bolt and your spider if 5 bolt, so you just can't machine your spider to a mtb standard.

The road BB30 spider looks like this http://contenderbicycles.com/wp-content ... spec_1.jpg

This is a MTB spider - https://ciclimattio.com/upload/foto/l/2 ... KF2016.png
Note the difference in the number of divits, so you can't just swap the spiders.

I think you're either going to need to go 46/32 110bcd or MTB. Maybe buy an MTB spider and have a waterjet (or overlay and center the parts, spray paint on the MTB Spider (probably $100 if the does the design as a favor), drill out all the painted area - this will have loose tolerances) cut the spider interface .This assumes the offset is right and will clear your road crank bits.

FSA just introduced an adventure crankset for 46/30 gearing,but the spider interface looks like this - https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/01/30/fs ... d-gearing/

BmanX

by BmanX

I have several of these older FSA cranks with the removable spiders. I had custom made spiderless chainrings done by Fibre-Lyte and sent over one of the spiders so they could get the spline design. They have this on file so they might be able to make one for you. Stephen is great to work with.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poynt

by poynt

What was the size and weight of your direct mount ring from Fibre-lyte may I ask. I asked if they could do me two options, one was a dm ring in s-works pattern, they said they didn't have that on file, and the other option was to use one of the carbon-ti x-spiders and for them to make a 76bcd 4 bolt ring. The problem was that the x-spiders were designed to take a XX1 style threaded ring and they said they couldn't do that in carbon.

Has the dm ring worked ok for you? as it must be the lightest version of the two.