Light weight singlespeed crank set

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AllenMtb

by AllenMtb

What is the lightest, reasonably priced singlespeed crankset I can get?

orange77

by orange77

Raceface Next SL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

orange77 wrote:Raceface Next SL

These are $hit*.

My mate has snapped two crank arms and the 3rd set had a load of play between the drive side crank to spindle.

*These were the SL G4's, so the normal SL's may be different?
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Gullholm

by Gullholm

Sram XX1 Eagle is 391g for 175mm GXP arms, about 20g heavier than RaceFace Next SL but can be found quite a bit cheaper.

orange77

by orange77

ryanw wrote:

These are $hit*.

My mate has snapped two crank arms and the 3rd set had a load of play between the drive side crank to spindle.

Never had a problem with mine (G3). Hope it stays that way...

LeDuke

by LeDuke

ryanw wrote:

These are $hit*.

Sounds like your mate doesn't know how to assemble bicycle parts correctly.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

LeDuke wrote:
ryanw wrote:

These are $hit*.

:roll: He's a national masters enduro champ...

Snapping two crank arms in half has nothing to do with installation :idea:
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

LeDuke

by LeDuke

ryanw wrote:
LeDuke wrote:
ryanw wrote:

These are $hit*.

:roll: He's a national masters enduro champ...

Snapping two crank arms in half has nothing to do with installation :idea:

I was referring to the "load of play between the drive side crank to spindle". Pretty easy to fix that.

And, I know plenty of bike racers who know next to nothing about the workings of their bicycles. I can win a WC XCO race, but that doesn't mean I know how to maintain a bicycle.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I run XX1 GXP cranks. Never actually weighed them but they perform exceptionally well, have stages compatibility and a mass of chain ring options to suit them from the aftermarket. Got them on a supplier special for 250nzd
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

by 11.4

Assuming you're using this on the road and in competition, you are typically facing hills and having to put a lot of out-of-the-saddle leverage on the cranks. Pure weight savings tend to cost you there. I've seen riders with stability problems because they went to ultralight cranksets. The Dura Ace 7710 track cranks are one of the lightest track cranks out there -- hollow crank arms and a 7700 road bottom bracket is very light (some of the lightweight cranks save weight but then give it away with the bottom brackets you have to use).

LeDuke

by LeDuke

11.4 wrote:Assuming you're using this on the road and in competition, you are typically facing hills and having to put a lot of out-of-the-saddle leverage on the cranks. Pure weight savings tend to cost you there. I've seen riders with stability problems because they went to ultralight cranksets. The Dura Ace 7710 track cranks are one of the lightest track cranks out there -- hollow crank arms and a 7700 road bottom bracket is very light (some of the lightweight cranks save weight but then give it away with the bottom brackets you have to use).

This is the MTB subforum.

Not sure why you're recommending track cranks for offroad use. They won't fit, won't provide usable gearing, and would have a weird chainline even if you could find a chainring small enough to fit them on any modern MTB frame.

KWalker

by KWalker

Next SL cranks are also pretty damn stiff. I know tons of people who run them with zero issues. They are one of the easiest cranks to setup. The only issue with them is actually the BB creak, but again any decent mechanic should be able to prevent that.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by 11.4

LeDuke wrote:
11.4 wrote:Assuming you're using this on the road and in competition, you are typically facing hills and having to put a lot of out-of-the-saddle leverage on the cranks. Pure weight savings tend to cost you there. I've seen riders with stability problems because they went to ultralight cranksets. The Dura Ace 7710 track cranks are one of the lightest track cranks out there -- hollow crank arms and a 7700 road bottom bracket is very light (some of the lightweight cranks save weight but then give it away with the bottom brackets you have to use).

This is the MTB subforum.

Not sure why you're recommending track cranks for offroad use. They won't fit, won't provide usable gearing, and would have a weird chainline even if you could find a chainring small enough to fit them on any modern MTB frame.

Ooops. I just saw it as a recent thread and didn't notice it was MTB and not road.

EPICBYTES

by EPICBYTES

I have 170mm RaceFace Next SL , all in (BB and spacers included) is 504g

EDIT: Pretty damn easy to set up and cinch system is awesome

carpetrunner

by carpetrunner

Spesh s-works cranks - maybe the older model with a directmount ring is just a little lighter than the new one?

or Lightning http://www.lightningbikes.com/cranks/

- carpetrunner
Attachments
Spesh s-works 2015 model
Spesh s-works 2015 model

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com