Alpha ceramic rotors

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The produced CF ceramic discs so far have pretty poor braking capability though, Ashima or Alligator are better! Also icetech is not about power but sustaining it under sustained heavy braking by improving the conduction. I suggest you do some more homework!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

SK5 wrote:If you use a more abrasive material it can take the coating off pretty much straight away.
So, if this logic was correct, what happens when you use the correct pad but then ride through a sandy area in the wet?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

dont brake let the sand do it for you.

Also the CF/ceramic rotors aremeant for braking performance at high temperatures not seen of bicycles so the whole thing maybe a nice idea that is not actually needed.

fr4nz

by fr4nz

SportingGoods wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 pm
Received today! Very happy about that. On the other hand I've sent 2 emails w/o response from them. Not so happy about that. Which means I don't really know which pads to use. I'll just give a try with my organic pads. Remember, this is my road bike, so not as critical as in MTB. And roads are pretty much frozen at the moment here so I need to be very careful when breaking, I'll not be able to really test the full power of the breaking yet, just a first feedback on "is it pure crap or not" :lol:

Apart from that, so far so good. Quality seems very good: flat, round, precise cut, 1.9 mm thick as announced.
Hey mate, just wondering how long it took for them to deliver the goods? Also, do you know if they make the disc per order?

Cheers,

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Whilst I haven't purchased any, given the feedback here and elsewhere, (and absolute lack of real detail ANYWHERE :unbelievable: ), I'd save my money.

poynt

by poynt

another new varient of the carbon rotor, shall we see if this one gets anywhere? Obviously not a full carbon disc. available in 160 - 180. Maybe more aimed at roadies than offroaders.

this is from ccache.cc
"We are not big proponent of complete carbon rotors so this looks promising. Ceramic coated alloy braking surface on a carbon carrier. Currently in testing"

MichaelB

by MichaelB

There was soemthing similar that was promoted on an Aussie site (Zelvy), but there were delays, still testing and now have disappeared from their site.

Looked remarkably like the one posted above.

Be interesting to hear some more like weight, cost, availability, recommended pads etc. Couldn't see anything on their site ?

Pat2A

by Pat2A

MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:09 am
There was soemthing similar that was promoted on an Aussie site (Zelvy), but there were delays, still testing and now have disappeared from their site.

Looked remarkably like the one posted above.

Be interesting to hear some more like weight, cost, availability, recommended pads etc. Couldn't see anything on their site ?
Carbon spider and stealth ceramic alloy braking surface.
Drop roughly 50g per disc compared to a traditional stainless steel rotor.
Required organic pads.
s1600_Zelvy_Brake_Lite_Carbon_Ceramic_Discs_1.jpg

poynt

by poynt

so still around 60-70g still then if 50g is based on a standerd 160mm steel rotor of 100-120g

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'm waiting for someone who rides hard and regularly to test these things.

Every carbon/ceramic rotor to this point has been a joke. It would be great if these were a viable product, but I'll let other people be the guinea pigs.

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

LeDuke wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:10 pm
Every carbon/ceramic rotor to this point has been a joke.
That. The tech just isn't real.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Pat2A wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:20 am
Carbon spider and stealth ceramic alloy braking surface.
Drop roughly 50g per disc compared to a traditional stainless steel rotor.
Required organic pads.

s1600_Zelvy_Brake_Lite_Carbon_Ceramic_Discs_1.jpg
That’s the one, but never saw it available.

Would love to try it