Alpha ceramic rotors

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jonasd

by jonasd

I haven't, but there's a lengthy discussion about them on Bikerumor here:

https://www.bikerumor.com/2016/11/18/al ... ke-rotors/

If anyone has come across a review of one please post it up as I'm curious as well.

marecej

by marecej

I should get them in mail soon
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

Gullholm

by Gullholm

marecej wrote:I should get them in mail soon

Please post a review when you've tried them out! :beerchug:

I took a chance back in the day when the Kettle SiCCC rotors was released and that was probably my worst cycling related purchase ever haha.. So hoping these are way better!

ms6073

by ms6073

Gullholm wrote:when the Kettle SiCCC rotors was released and that was probably my worst cycling related purchase ever

Hopefully you only took the bait once - I gave them the benefit of the doubt through 3 different iterations. While I will admit the final batch of rotors and proprietary pads had good braking qualities, the rotors were far from true and had rubbing issues with both TRP Spyre SL mechanical and Shimano XTR M985 hydraulic calipers.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

jonasd

by jonasd

marecej wrote:I should get them in mail soon

Nice, is this for your new MTB build? Any other details on the build you can share (or is there a thread on this I missed)? Looking forward to your impressions of these rotors.

marecej

by marecej

don't worry guys, I'll post my impressions, but it won't be until spring
yeah, it's for my new mtb, I still don't know if the frame I chose will ever be born so there is no real info to post yet (but I may start a thread when I get more interesting parts delivered) :-)
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

marecej

by marecej

so, the weight is spot on, 2x160=80 :)

Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

I was hoping for a sacrificial early adopter. I'm ceramic-rotor-shy, having been burned by both Kettle and Wren pieces of $#*&

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I've seen them, but keeping my wallet full at the moment.

The key aspect is the pads to use with them.

The Kettle/SiCC experience showed that specific pad were required for the best results, yet Alpha are quite vague as to what pads are to be used.

I'll standby to standby.

ATMOS

by ATMOS

I will jump on them if the results is good.

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

Wow, they are not too expensive :oops:

I'm tempted for my road bike equipped with disc brake. That would be 160 g saved, for USD 135.00. Not too bad. It would look good on my carbon tubular wheels 8)

EDIT: ordered! I'll report on performance and logistic. Ordering was not easy as it is in Spanish.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Wow, saving 160g means you are rocking some pretty heavy discs right now!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

I knew 160g saving would be shocking :shock:

Let me explain. First, my road bike is set with 160 mm discs. I use JuinTech hydro/mechanical brakes and they recommend 160 mm for max efficiency (and I ride in the Alps, so I need efficiency). For now, I just use the disc that came in the JuinTech box, about 120 g each.
By the way, I really love the JuinTech brakes, they are very powerful. You get the power of the Hydro and the convenience to be cable actuated (by regular Shimano ultegra levers).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SportingGoods

by SportingGoods

Received today! Very happy about that. On the other hand I've sent 2 emails w/o response from them. Not so happy about that. Which means I don't really know which pads to use. I'll just give a try with my organic pads. Remember, this is my road bike, so not as critical as in MTB. And roads are pretty much frozen at the moment here so I need to be very careful when breaking, I'll not be able to really test the full power of the breaking yet, just a first feedback on "is it pure crap or not" :lol:

Apart from that, so far so good. Quality seems very good: flat, round, precise cut, 1.9 mm thick as announced.