TRICKSTUFF Piccola brakes - thoughts

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Just came across the new to come Trickstuff Piccola brakes, with an incredible weight of 158 grams for the brake with 70cm hose. That's 30cm shorter than what brake weights are usually listed with, but it should still be the lightest non-custom MTB disc brakes available.

Has anyone got any experiences with Trickstuff brakes? Are they good, bad, mediocre? Are they worth the high price tag? Maybe you even know something about these brakes specifically (the Piccola, I mean)?

Feel free to discuss and share your thoughts!
Last edited by HaakonJohansen on Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Nobody? I can see that I forgot to post a link. Here you go.

Love the look of the master cylinder, but I think they should have done some more CNC-machining on the callipers. Are the callipers the same as the Cleg ones?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DanW

by DanW

I don't think I've ever seen anyone riding these or the Clegs, online or otherwise.... EUR 700 a set may explain that as much as anything

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Not seen many brakes with a 1metre hose, about 700-800 front and 1300 for the rear is more normal.

Piccola seems invisible in English! Can't say I'm keen on how far out it puts the hose and banjo, very exposed.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

TheRookie wrote:Not seen many brakes with a 1metre hose, about 700-800 front and 1300 for the rear is more normal.

Piccola seems invisible in English! Can't say I'm keen on how far out it puts the hose and banjo, very exposed.

I might have been mistaken regarding the hose length for which manufacturers state their brake weights with. I didn't even think about the hose position. There's not too many times where this would be a problem (at least for me), but you're right it does put it in a more exposed position. Anyways, I don't like the look of the caliper. Can't really see why it have to be so bulky. One should think that they could remove quite a lot of the material around the caliper body bolts. Would look much better if it were tapered down to the bolt heads, in my opinion (plus they'd loose some more grams). It would be really interesting to hear how they're performing though.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I asked R2-bike if they would consider making a aluminum bolt tuning set for the newest generation Formula R1R (with colour options of course;)) and they were really positive to the idea:) Also asked about making carbon (or lighter aluminum) clamps for them. Don't know if they were positive to both ideas or just the first one though, but they forwarded my request to someone (I guess the ones that make bolts for them). Really hope this happens. Should close the weight gap to those Piccolas a tiny bit;)

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I have Formula R1s brakes (an OEM only option - commonly used by Lapierre) that mates an R1 lever assembly to a slightly heavier (by circa 20g and presumably cheaper as its cast not forged) RX calliper.

The RX lever piston is lighter than the R1 item (plastic piston not metal) and works just fine - mine had a blown seal and needed replacing which is how I found out.

You can already get Carbon clamp pieces to replace the original alloy - see them on ebay.

The clamp bolts are relatively thin M4 (and tapered head) x15 alloy bolts the same size (M4x16) are readily available and on my 'to do' list, as they are already fairly 'small' the weight saving won't be huge.

Reach adjust adds some weight (mine has alloy levers) but clearly the carbon lever is the WW way to go.

Trucker do carbon backed sintered pads or you can get alloy backed organic pads to save weight.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I have the R1 Racing 2016, which is a bit difference from the R1/RX(same for all R1R's from 2014 and newer). Already using TruckerCo alu backed pads, which are lighter than the carbon ones (R1R is delivered with alu pads as standard as well). There's quite a lot of alu bolts available for the R1 caliper, but not for the newer version of the R1R. Except the clamping bolts and the pad retention bolt. But no aluminum bleeding screws available for either R1 or R1R. Also, no carbon levers, or alu lever bolts available for the new R1R. The pistons are also made nylon (I think) on the R1R, and all the bolts are titanium, which makes the weight savings even less, but would really love the black look of anodized alu bolts;)

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

TheRookie wrote:You can already get Carbon clamp pieces to replace the original alloy - see them on ebay

Do you have a link? I can't find any available anywhere:S I know BK composites did make some, but since they ceased to exist, I can't find them anywhere.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

HaakonJohansen wrote: but would really love the black look of anodized alu bolts;)

You can get black anodised titanium bolts from quite a few suppliers. In some applications I don't think I'd be comfortable with an Alu bolt even if it is 0.2gms lighter!
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

I wouldn't use alu caliper mounting bolts (got Extralite Ti ones for that;)). But I really think that alu bolts on the master caliper will be fine.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

The carbon clamps were on there recently, cant find them right now.

I agree, I'd try alloy lever bolts, they would be fine unless you had an impact whne snapping the bolt may be cheaper than damaging the lever!

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

TheRookie wrote:The carbon clamps were on there recently, cant find them right now.

I agree, I'd try alloy lever bolts, they would be fine unless you had an impact whne snapping the bolt may be cheaper than damaging the lever!

Let me know if you find the carbon clamps available again;)

Jan

by Jan

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ttakata73

by ttakata73

Nice article, seems a good brake.
I think you could rotate the banjo/hose in any direction and flip the left-right levers so the hose is on the bottom.