TRICKSTUFF Piccola brakes - thoughts

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

poynt wrote:it seems most of the Goodridge alu fittings aren't that compatible, here are the Ti hose fittings if it helps

http://titaniumplanet.com/index.php?id_ ... &id_lang=1
http://titaniumplanet.com/index.php?id_ ... &id_lang=1

I've been looking at the Goodridge fittings too, but like you said; they don't seem to be very compatible. I've been looking at the fittings from Titaniumplanet, and I'll probably end up with those because of the black color. Will save some weight over the original fittings at the master cylinder end too;)

andreszucs
in the industry

by andreszucs

poynt wrote:....like the BFO hoses aren't high pressure so can't be put on the R1R's.

Not a problem. I'm using BFO hose on my Magura MT8, no issues. Pressures on a BFO set or on any other brakes aren't that different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poynt

by poynt

andreszucs wrote:
poynt wrote:....like the BFO hoses aren't high pressure so can't be put on the R1R's.

Not a problem. I'm using BFO hose on my Magura MT8, no issues. Pressures on a BFO set or on any other brakes aren't that different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thanks, I might try the BFO's as they are pretty reasonable cost (F&R kit same or less than 1 set of the formulas) and use the Ti fittings as well if the BFo fittings don't work on the R1s'

zscs

by zscs

Hi,
I've just purchased a set of Piccola brakes but I got stuck at cable shortening. I suppose that, this process is different to any other common brakes on the market (no olive/compression ring is necessary, for example?), but correct me if I'm wrong. I tried to find an EN-language user's manual but I cannot find any, only a German one, which navigates me to a 2nd .pdf (also German) and that talks about Direttisima brakes.
http://www.trickstuff.de/de/manuals/PDF ... A_D_KL.pdf

could you help me and describe the steps I need to follow for shortening the brake cable?

many thanks for your help in advance! :)

regards,
zscs

marecej

by marecej

Hi, I was asking Trickstuff for a guide on this and they told me the approach is the same as direttisima only difference is the ring connector
then they added this remark:
Important about the ‚ring connector‘ is to unscrew the Ring out of the cap nut. And NOT otherwise. By doing so, you could damage the smaller thread inside the hose. Secure the hose and nut with your hand, and carefully unscrew the connector.

hope that helps you
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

zscs

by zscs

Thanks a lot for the very useful info ;)

Just to make sure I understand it correctly.
1st step: I need to remove/unscrew number 2. part from number 1. first (I found that, it should be done with a small, 6mm wrench)
2nd step: remove number 2. part from the hose

Thanks again:), Best Regards,
zscs

For your information:
Weight for front brake is 161g for the front and 179g for the rear (900mm and 1700mm uncut brake hoses).
https://gewichte.mtb-news.de/product-15 ... se-piccola
https://gewichte.mtb-news.de/product-15 ... se-piccola

zscs

by zscs

zscs wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:29 am
I got super useful instructions from Trickstuff guys (thank you so much!), I'm going to share it with you - could be very useful later on. ;)

1: Remove the bolt in 1 with a 3 mm allen key
2: Remove the banjo by holding 2 with a 6 mm wrench and unscrewing the banjo from 2.
3: Pull 2 from hose
4: Cut hose
5: Put 2 back on hose
6: Widen the inside of the hose a little using a thorn
7: Hold 2 with 6 mm wrench and screw the banjo back in until banjo and 2 meet
8: Use a 3 mm allen key to mount the banjo back on the housing. there must be an o-ring seal on both sides of the banjo. The Banjo has 2 sides. If the head of the bolt is level with the banjo it is correct. if it is above the banjo, the bolt goes through the banjo from the wrong side.
9: Bleed your brake
10: Ride hard, have fun

marecej

by marecej

perfect!
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

19ninety

by 19ninety

Out of interest, how long did it take from ordering to delivery? Their website say around six months...

marecej

by marecej

thats about right
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

19ninety

by 19ninety

marecej wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 11:33 am
thats about right

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Email R2 and ask when they'll get them in. They were telling my friend 4-6 months and then they got an order of 6 in and shipped his so it only took 2 weeks.

poynt

by poynt

Are they that much better than the Kill Hills, weight and performance wise, considering the cost differential.

InDustWeTrust

by InDustWeTrust

What's the regular price for a set of these bad boys? 600€?
Might be a decent replacement for XTR brakes. Not very grip shift friendly when used with SRAM gripshift, right?

marecej

by marecej

regular price is 395€ for a piece
Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com