Di2 Battery

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Carlin

by Carlin

Right then I've come across an issue and need some help.

I've gone XTR Di2 and wanted to go internal.
Originally was going to go internal Seatpost but due to the frame design I won't be able to run wiring as the frame is blocked off.
So I decided to go battery within the forks, I've come to fitting and surprise surprise the battery is to let by as I didn't realise within the RockShox Sid forks they have placed like silicone cushion obviously for vibration use?
So my question is has anyone got around this and is there anyone out there who sells none Shimano branded battery half the size of the internal Shimano one because i could then run it it to areas.
I don't want to run external as it will look messy and pointless.

Any ideas would be most helpful as its all sat there and I can't ride till I fix this issue

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Benno

by Benno

They put silicone in the steerer? Can you remove or bore out the silicone?

Carlin

by Carlin

Benno wrote:They put silicone in the steerer? Can you remove or bore out the silicone?

I've emailed SRAM to find out what it is and what it's actual purpose as my forks are only 6months old don't really want to void warranty....
Looks it could come out but with bit of help.

I hope RockShox don't do the same in the RS-1 as they are my purchase next year or I'll be looking for another brands like DT Swiss as I'm not a Fox lover

Benno

by Benno

Just curious, what frame are you using?

Carlin

by Carlin

Benno wrote:Just curious, what frame are you using?

I own a Felt Edict FRD 2016 model

Well I've decided to make the modifications to the Shimano battery and will be using the Pro XC Di2 stem I will take pictures and it help other ppl who may strugglewith this in the future

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

I have just converted my external Di2 battery to internal, its running a electronic lock out Fox suspension fork(iCD). Bought the steerer kit to fit the Shimano battery in and the battery sticks out the bottom of the fork. Emily Batty is running an internal battery on her Trek in the steerer and I have a bigger framed Trek so their must be a smaller battery but I could not find one. I eventually fitted mine in the seat post.

This is how it used to be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJlTh8ZHp7M
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

Carlin

by Carlin

kingkongsfinger wrote:I have just converted my external Di2 battery to internal, its running a electronic lock out Fox suspension fork(iCD). Bought the steerer kit to fit the Shimano battery in and the battery sticks out the bottom of the fork. Emily Batty is running an internal battery on her Trek in the steerer and I have a bigger framed Trek so their must be a smaller battery but I could not find one. I eventually fitted mine in the seat post.

This is how it used to be https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJlTh8ZHp7M

Thanks seems after reading around a lot of people having issues with the battery being to long!!
Unfortunately I can't run within my Seatpost because the frame is solid section at the bb area.
Anyways I've made the mods now and if anything loads better than the actual product sold.

What I have done is used the XC Pro Stem 80mm and placed the two battery with the stem an capacitor it's clean and tidy. Had to do some re-wiring etc but it's nice a tight fit so now rattling or movement.
Once it's finished will get some pictures on how I've done it.

But I really think there is a market some a company to make smaller batteries.
The voltage and Mah are exactly like the RC Cars (remote control) which is used as a reciever pack they are small plus a lot more Mah so more riding time.
The only issue is there no information on what the little capacitor for is it just for charging (balancer) or used towards the actual function of the Di2.
If it's just for balancing them it can be binned, it can be charged with my proper lipo balancing charger.

krzysiekmz

by krzysiekmz

Has anyone tried splicing the wires and wiring a LIPO battery for the XTR Di2 m9000 system?

Interested in what wires are inside the cable and which colors are positive/negative terminals.

Done this years back with Dura Ace 7970 for weight savings and longer battery life.
Orbea Oiz - xxxx
MSC Koncept Carbon Di2 - 6955g
Leichtkraft Team Carbon - 6868g.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com