Which lightweight clipless pedals?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanW

by DanW

Don't read too much in to the numbers. I think Xpedo are being very conservative with their weight limit. I am 80-85kg and have been on the Xpedo M-Force Ti's for 2 years now without even so much as changing a bearing.

I also think it would be quite rare to suffer a catastrophic failure of a Ti axle for a wheels on the ground type rider unless you are super porky :D IME the biggest difference between Ti and steel (after weight) is the wear rate on the Ti. I've had Chinese Ti, USA Ti, CB Ti, custom XTR ti and all were faultless for my *on the limit* weight besides wearing pretty quickly and needing replacing frequently. As I said above, no such issues with Xpedo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

maddog 2

by maddog 2

I had some Xpedos a while back and they ate their bearings in no time. Maybe they've changed the design since then.

DanW

by DanW

They have indeed updated the design maddog...

CGT

by CGT

maddog 2 wrote:I had some Xpedos a while back and they ate their bearings in no time. Maybe they've changed the design since then.

That depends on when "a while back" was. They did revamp them, but that was some 5 years ago I would think.

scant

by scant

has anyone used both xpedo mag ti pedals & shimano m9000 xtr pedals? how do they compare please? I dont have any performance issues with the xtr, other than the bearings need adjusting every 500miles or so... but I am curious about the xpedo, given the potential weight saving

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

Good clipless pedals weight 300+grams

muntos

by muntos

Egg 11 all the way. I use them for the last 3 years, tried Shimano, Richey, Time but I found the Eggbeaters the best on clipping in and out, no problem in mud.
The cleats and bearings might not least as much as others but a rebuild kit is so cheap and it's so easy to service them yourself.

stuka666

by stuka666

Bebop are crap, not usable for mtb.

If I had the money, I'd go with the xpedo, but they are still expensive for a thing that can break at any minute.

I prefer to save weight on other parts and buy cheap pedals around 280-300 grams. Look s-track, xlc, etc.. but like I said, if money is no problem, xpedo.

DanW

by DanW

If I had the money, I'd go with the xpedo, but they are still expensive for a thing that can break at any minute.

BS, sorry. As in the other thread they can be had for under £90 on ebay, new with warranty and they are far from fragile. More durable than XTR and a million times more durable than CB EB.

Good clipless pedals weight 300+grams

More BS :roll: :D

has anyone used both xpedo mag ti pedals & shimano m9000 xtr pedals? how do they compare please?

Same cleats (so long lasting), less bearing and general maintenance required, no "icy" feeling of the pedal shoe interface in the wet, much lighter, £30 more expensive than CRC XTR price. XTR are more than fine but the Xpedo really are noticeably better.

SingingSingleTracker

by SingingSingleTracker

Lelandjt wrote:Lightest: Crank Bros
Lightest that work well: Xpedo

^This!

I have both.

Several pair of Xpedo's have been going strong for years - even with my weight above and below the "legal limit". The Eggs are lighter, but have had to be returned 2 times to Crank Brothers to have the broken cage fixed under warranty. Both times happened within the first ride/races with them. Not cool having a product that can't make it through more than a ride or two!!!! They are fixed and in brand new condition sitting in their box in my parts bin because I need equipment that is reliable. I was too fearful to use them again.

Xpedo M Force 8 Ti's on three bikes with zero issues for several years.

My suggestion - take the slight weight penalty (they weigh 215g) over the Eggs and feel confident with your equipment. :thumbup:

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

To the experienced Xpedo users, how does the release tension compare to Shimano pedals?

I have always had to run my Shimanos at the maximum tension and still pre release frequently enough to make me wish for more. Most of the SPD style clone pedals I have tried actually have less tension available than Shimanos so I have been eyeballing the new HT pedals as they are supposed to really allow one to crank it up. The issue with the HTs is that they use a unique cleat, which would mean I lose the great multi bike compatibility I have now.

So...anyone tried max tension on Xpedo vs. Shimano?