XX1 Eagle

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

caballero

by caballero

50t cassette ? Ridiculous. I raced elite xc for years on 29/44 front with 11-32r and had absolutely no trouble. Evolution is sometimes devolution.

bikemaniack

by bikemaniack

It may look,like it was made to put a bigger chainring on front,then we can ride faster on flat parts,and climbing won't be a problem. That's what I'm think.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

InverseOfZero

by InverseOfZero

Sorry if this is subjective, but I just wanted to chime in with my 2c.

I believe that e*thirteen industries have actually created the ultimate cassette: the TRS+ 11 speed cassette. It is:

* 9-44t with 489% range, only 11% off Eagle
* Much cheaper
* 35g lighter
* Built in 3 separate replaceable parts, so that as sections wear out the entire cassette need not be replaced
* Allows for additional weight savings with smaller chainrings due to the 9t cog

I haven't ridden one nor can anything be said about long-term reliability since the product has not been out for long so I can only vouch for the specs on paper. Though I will be ordering one ASAP.

For me this is a no-brainer :noidea: I feel that it's smarter to get a harder gear out of the 9t and save the weight in the chainring than to keep pushing big cogs up to 50t. For myself personally it means that I can now ditch my Race Face Cinch spider (>70g) and go for a nice direct mount NW 36t oval chainring for road riding with the 9t on the cassette, rather than use a NW 40t oval chainring with a Cinch spider that doesn't even clear my hugely fat chain stays (let's just say that those big chainrings don't come close to clearing them). And then the beauty is that I can even use my road chainring for relatively easier offroad rides at high speed due to the 44t up back. Win-win-win-win situation!

P.S. I am not affiliated with e.thirteen in any way I'm just a fan [emoji18]
Last edited by InverseOfZero on Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wingguy

by wingguy

You know that an easier way to save weight for road rides is to use a road bike, right? :noidea:

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

caballero wrote:50t cassette ? Ridiculous. I raced elite xc for years on 29/44 front with 11-32r and had absolutely no trouble. Evolution is sometimes devolution.

On a 26" bike I'm sure. Also, the courses might have changed a bit since then...

InverseOfZero

by InverseOfZero

wingguy wrote:You know that an easier way to save weight for road rides is to use a road bike, right? :noidea:

Yeah people always say that, or something like "why don't you have two bikes" etc. Too expensive to own two top spec bikes and I don't want two mediocre spec bikes either.

I actually owned and commuted with an (entry level but decent) Orbea road bike for six years, and spent nearly every day wishing it was a mountain bike. There's nothing more exhilarating (for me anyhow) than being creative with the environment enroute via the urban jungle. This includes sets of stairs, gutters, ramps, a community pump track and a technical root garden all along the way to my work [THUMBS UP SIGN]

Back on topic, my mountain bike didn't account for riding on the road at 60km/h with the 11t cassette and 38t chainring on the XT crankset. Swapping out to a bigger chainring is impossible due to lack of chainring clearance, so personally I'm delighted to see that e.thirteen went with the smaller 9t cog than the bigger 50t cog for those of us with chainstay clearance issues that need a higher speed without spinning on their bikes for whatever reason.

Of course I imagine that CX bikes don't have these chainstay clearance issues and just whack on a 50t chainring up front but for the type of riding I do I wanted a dualie [emoji108]

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

Oh ok, cool. Tricks and stunts are always fun :wink: