Reasonably priced lightweight XC bars 700mm

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

trailgumby

by trailgumby

After a trip off the side of a 2m high elevated bridge onto rocks a month ago, my Truvativ Noir bars are all chewed up. Fortunately that was the only damage to bike or rider - I got real lucky. (I broke the rule of looking only where you want to go, and looked at what I wanted to avoid. Gumby stuff. :x )

So I need some new flat bars 700mm wide with a bit of sweepback.

I don't have the budget for the uber lightweight stuff from Germany, but it would be good to shave some grams. Will probably grab a matching seatpost at the same time. Prefer to have a name brand so there is some accountability.

Thoughts?

muntos

by muntos

I'm also looking for a new handlebar, I snapped my Tune handlebar in a minor crash (in my opinion it snapped way too easy...) and for sure I don't look anymore for a superlight bar having weight limit but in the same time I don't want to get a heavy one.
My first option now would be Easton EC90 SL Carbon Flat : https://www.bike24.com/1.php?content=8&product=108602

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Exar

by Exar

How is E 143 for a handlebar 'reasonably priced' ?
Chains to the right!

DanW

by DanW

I got my EC90 for under £90 on CRC. Very happy with it and 124g. More like 740mm width end to end so you could chop some g's off if you really prefer 700mm bars.

I have had the usual superlight suspects but had the same experience as muntos in finding them far too fragile, especially at the bar end. I don't want to write off a very expensive component slightly clipping a tree. After 2 or 3 times of doing that I finally took the hint :)

The other one to look at is Mt Zoom. Very well priced, nice and light, excellent warranty and 1/2 price crash replacement if you do something stupid and damage them through your own fault. Ant will always sort you out if something happens so no reason to not go for them

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The Enve Sweep at $160 isn't too bad. I love mine, they aren't the lightest... but are light enough and VERY strong.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Get a reputable Chinese Carbon, I have some 680's, 122g and cost just £16/$25
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

trailgumby

by trailgumby

I'm probably heading towards the Easton, but what would you recommend as "reputable" for carbon bars?

Would Light Bicycles be on that list?

Edit: LB don't do handlebars, it seems. Wheels only. :( I hae a set of their rims on my RDO wheelset and they're excellent.

JensW

by JensW

+1 on mtzoom

machine4321

by machine4321

I finally ordered a mt zoom the other day. Ended up being same price as ec90 but has a better warranty. The 1/2 price crash replacment was the deal maker. Plus I have never hear of any real problems with them.

Cost me 165CAD shipped. Really a great price when I looked around.

burglarboycie

by burglarboycie

Mt Zoom every time!
I've had a number of their products over the years, all excellent quality and never let me down

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

+1 for MtZoom, great bang 4 buck.

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Ordered the EC90SL in the end - free freight to Down Under brought it under the MT Zoom price. The name brand that I've used previously and been very satisfied with was a welcome bonus.

Thanks for all your input. :thumbup: As usual, you've been enormously helpful. :D

muntos

by muntos

Waiting some pics with it and weight ;-)

trailgumby

by trailgumby

Should arrive Monday. I hope an analog scale is acceptable ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

headtube

by headtube

TheRookie wrote:Get a reputable Chinese Carbon, I have some 680's, 122g and cost just £16/$25

That's what I did. Good value for the money.