27.2 mm dropper post?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dirtperson

by Dirtperson

The ks 272 Lev are just delicate compared to the spesh post. The Thomson 27.2 performs great, tons of travel and a 2 year service window. It's not light though, even with ultralight cable/housing and a modded lever.

KWalker

by KWalker

Do you have any more info on the KS being delicate? I haven't found a current report of the 272 specifically.

My Speci is holding up well. 1-2mm of lateral wiggle, prob not even that much. Fast return and very dependable.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dirtperson

by Dirtperson

i used one personally and a few on some clients bikes. the mechanism gets sticky over time (2 weeks to 6 months) which isnt shocking, but ive had 3 failures on mine over a 4 month period where the whole thing had to go back to KS. from what ive seen, they tend to get some negative pressure built up in the chamber and suck oil in, which either keep its from moving freely or it gets saggy.

the specialized one is dope though, esp at 50mm drop. dropper posts are really crazy items to have travel and also 0 tolerance for movement; there is going to be some trade-off - weight or reliability etc.

KWalker

by KWalker

I've found over time that 50mm is just fine for my Epic WC. Looking at pros who use droppers on XC bike even Absalon moved down to the 65 and when they use them many tend to limit the travel a bit.

The only time I've had a single issue with the Speci was when it was really muddy and it got a bit of buildup in the seal, but just lowering, raising, and cleaning it solved that. I replaced the stock lever with the 9point8 thumB, which is ~40g lighter and still has the shift lever style action.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

pegleg81

by pegleg81

KWalker wrote:I've found over time that 50mm is just fine for my Epic WC. Looking at pros who use droppers on XC bike even Absalon moved down to the 65 and when they use them many tend to limit the travel a bit.

The only time I've had a single issue with the Speci was when it was really muddy and it got a bit of buildup in the seal, but just lowering, raising, and cleaning it solved that. I replaced the stock lever with the 9point8 thumB, which is ~40g lighter and still has the shift lever style action.

Hey, when the xcp post hits the top, is there some audible sound which would indicate that the dropper had returned to the top position?

I have the KS integra 27.2 and the thing that annoys me the most is the slow return speed. Maybe I'll get more used to it, but I just don't like the uncertainty as to whether the post is at the top or not during races and losing a few pedal strokes up hill because I'm waiting (may too long) for the post to hit the top.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'd say there's a audible "clonk". I'm never in doubt when it reaches the top. It also happens quite fast (I haven't tried other dropper posts, so I can't compare).

pegleg81

by pegleg81

Darn, that's nice not to be in doubt. Quite often, I'm in doubt as to whether the KS Lev is at the top especially during races. It's too bad because the larger seatpost size KS Integras have adjustable air pressure but the bastardized 27.2 doesn't. :(

KWalker

by KWalker

It's pretty loud.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

pegleg81

by pegleg81

Ok, I'm going to get the xcp. I'll just eat baloney sandwiches for lunch for a few years. Lol.

After I upgrade to the 54t dt swiss ratchet and get the xcp, the bike's going to sound super boss!

KWalker

by KWalker

Check eBay- they're new take-offs all the time. I got mine for $156 shipped because the buyer didn't have the cable or the noodle for the remote, which wasn't necessary anyways.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

JWW

by JWW

Hi the_marsbar, I was going to buy a Spec dropper for my FS-I but was informed by the Cannondale dealer (on the phone) that I couldn't use an internal dropper only an external one. How did you route the cable internally?

Thanks for any help.

JWW

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Did I ever say that I routed it internally (at least not entirely)? The cable goes along the downtube, and enters through a small hole just before the bottom bracket. It's very easy to see if you look at your frame.

JWW

by JWW

Thanks for that. Also going to mention those wheels look great, what are they and do they come dished for the AI as standard or are they custom? Really struggling to get AI wheels over here in Oz.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks! They're custom wheels. Not that difficult to do. I really like them a lot :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sidewalk

by Sidewalk

Any updates? I'm thinking about adding a dropper to my F-Si. Anyone know what the weight of the stock Save2 seatpost is? Kind of on a tight budget, so trying to decide whether to spend money on a heavy dropper post, or save weight and just deal with the static post. Doing the math with a bike calc ,com I would break even on time lost on the climb compared to the time I lost against one of my rivals on a FS bike on the descent.