27.2 mm dropper post?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I've been looking for a dropper post for my F-Si. Ideally I'd wait and get a battery-powered one that can go down by the push of a button instead of having to sit on it, but I want one for this season.

So... What to get? I've looked at the Thomson Elite dropper post, but I'm not a big fan of how the cable is attached to the top of the post. At the top of my list currently is the KS Lev Integra 272, which has an internal cable.

Questions:
1) Are anyone here familiar with the KS Lev post? Is it nice? How often does it need to be serviced, and can I do it myself?
2) What other (good) alternatives exist?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Specialized XCP?
Using Tapatalk

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

While I like the idea of having less travel, I simply don't think 35 mm is enough. Also, I'm not very fond of the thought of putting a Specialized seatpost on a Cannondale.

KS Lev have a 65 mm post, which I think would be fine (it's light too), but unfortunately it's not available in 27.2 mm, and when I asked, it didn't sound like it was coming any time soon :(

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Honestly I thought the same thing after usung a 150mm dropper on my Trail bikes but for an XC bike 35mm is heaps. As for the logos, razor blade ;)
Using Tapatalk

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I'll give it another look, or see if I know anyone who has one that I could try out. Thanks.

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The Lev is good. But if you can deal with the thomson cable routing, it is better in every other way.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Have you tried both? Could you give me some examples of why the Thomson is better than the KS?

bensales

by bensales

I've just fit a Lev Integra 272 to my Epic and I have a Thomson Elite internal on my Five. The Thomson is a solid bit of kit and has been fine for a year with no maintenance needed, just washed normally after every ride. I've not ridden the Lev in anger yet as it only went on at the weekend, but in a short test ride seems ok. Fitting both was a similar level of hassle. 'Southpaw' remote for the Lev is very nice on my 1x11 setup. Normal remotes are the same for both brands.

Thomson don't do a 272 internal only an external, and the cable connects to the top of the post by the saddle which means it moves in use. Poor design in my view. The Lev external design is much better having the cable enter a fixed point at the top of the static part of the post. Keeps it stationary in use. But internal is just neater.

I'd say the quality and workmanship of both posts is about the same.

The other 27.2 alternative internally routed is the Specialized Command Post as mentioned, and I seriously considered one, but ruled it out as the 35mm drop isn't ideal and they're a pain to get hold of in the UK.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I can't decide. If I want to use a regular seat post for some races, an external like Thomson is maybe the best choice.

However, as you point out, an internally routed seat post just looks nicer. I'm also a fan of the all black color, it matches my bike better.

I'm leaning towards the Lev I think...

Briscoelab

by Briscoelab

The dampened extension on the Thomson is really nice. Plus the actual post head design is pretty much the best in existence.

The Lev is nice though.

grover

by grover

I have an externally routed Lev 272 with southpaw lever (1x drivetrain so left side of bar is free of shift lever). Has been smooth and reliable. Return speed is slower than the bigger sizes but it's not slow enough to annoy me, it always fully returns in the time I need it to. External routing is great for swapping a standard post in for weight savings if needed. I'm lucky that my Superfly has internal routing for front derailleur through the top tube that I use to set it up very neatly. I'm getting an F-Si and am yet to figure out the neatest way to run the external cable. I might actually run it to the down tube front derailleur cable stop and then run the cable unhoused like the front derailleur would under the bottom bracket and straight up to the seatpost.

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Thanks for your comment. It should also be possible to route it internally on the F-Si I think?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

I noticed that there's now a version of the Command XCP post with 50 mm travel. I went to my LBS and ordered it straight away. I should have it by the end of next week - can't wait to try it out.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Trust it to be updated after i have one. They are a great bit of gear.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

First short ride with the post today. I think I'm really going to like this thing :)

I'm racing tomorrow, so I guess we'll see how useful it is then...