Front hub strength

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Hi there. I'm a street rider (very light street though), and I'm wondering if a light front hub is typically weaker than a heavier hub? I.e. is there any reason to use a heavy 15x100mm Chris King over a super light Extralite Hyper JF 15x100mm? Just looking at the strength of the hub here, not rolling resistance in the bearings etc. Would I be fine choosing the lightest option? Or is a heavier hub actually quite a bit stronger? Oh... And I'm using a suspension fork btw, as you might have imagined from the hub specs;)

Hope someone might give me some input

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LeDuke

by LeDuke

While it's not street riding, I know that the DT 240s hubshell is the only one I've used across road, XC, AM and DH.

I've literally used the same 240 OS hub for all of those wheels, rebuilding with different spokes and rims.

Also, guys are using the 240 for everything from World Cup CX, DH, and XC and also EWS enduro races.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

LeDuke wrote:While it's not street riding, I know that the DT 240s hubshell is the only one I've used across road, XC, AM and DH.

I've literally used the same 240 OS hub for all of those wheels, rebuilding with different spokes and rims.

Also, guys are using the 240 for everything from World Cup CX, DH, and XC and also EWS enduro races.

What is the reason they are the only one you've used across all those riding styles? Is it because you've been breaking other hubs? 240's isn't really an option as I want the hubs to be red anodized though. Just trying to figure out if I should go for Tune, Extralite, Carbon-Ti etc. Or if I actually should choose some heavier hubs like i.e. the CK.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I haven't been breaking hubs. I broke rims or sold bikes, and thus had that hub available for use.

Also, because it can go from 20x110mm to 15x100mmm to 9x100mm thru bolt. While still being lighter than most other hubs out there.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Strength comes more from quality that weight, obviously if you put the same quality into a heavier (more material where it matters) hub then it will be stronger.

Of course the strength isn't relevant unless you exceed it's maximum! Whether you do or not is more a matter of how you ride than the hub itself.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

TheRookie wrote:Strength comes more from quality that weight, obviously if you put the same quality into a heavier (more material where it matters) hub then it will be stronger.

Of course the strength isn't relevant unless you exceed it's maximum! Whether you do or not is more a matter of how you ride than the hub itself.

It's for street riding, which can be pretty hard for components (although I'm not at all a hardcore rider, as I said). From the answers I get here, it seems that most high end hubs will do just fine, though. I know all of the brands I listed uses 7000 series aluminium for the hub shells, which I guess is quite a big plus, compared to cheaper DJ/street specific hubs that typically uses 6000 series aluminium. I'll probably go for some Tune, Extralite or Carbon-Ti.

1415chris

by 1415chris

You can take Extralite out of equation as it comes in black only.

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

1415chris wrote:You can take Extralite out of equation as it comes in black only.

They do special anodizing for 30 (or so) euro more;)

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

Just ordered a red anodized Extralite hub through Starbike;) It'll take quite some before I get it, but it's absolutely possible to get custom anodized Extralite hubs.

xc71

by xc71

Good choice on the Extralite, I have 4 years on this one with no issue's. Just replaced bearing twice, 6 months of the year it see's alot of snow and mud.
Purchased mine from Fairwheelbikes, at one point they stocked blue, red & green Extralite hubs.
Attachments
IMG_6263_1.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HaakonJohansen

by HaakonJohansen

xc71 wrote:Good choice on the Extralite, I have 4 years on this one with no issue's. Just replaced bearing twice, 6 months of the year it see's alot of snow and mud.
Purchased mine from Fairwheelbikes, at one point they stocked blue, red & green Extralite hubs.

Good to hear that it has performed well for you:) They do stock the ones you have on r2-bike in colours, but I needed the ones where I can use cross lacing;)