Mating Hope Race levers to XTR M9000 shifters

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CGT

by CGT

Hello fellow WWs,

I want to be able to mate my Hope Race levers to the XTR SL-M9000 shifters using some sort of matchmaker (to save weight and achieve a cleaner cockpit).

Now, I have already asked Hope if they are planning on releasing a matchmaker for this setup, seeing as they have done so for their Tech3 brake lever. Unfortunately, their answer is no. So that leaves a few other options:

1. There is a Hope Race matchmaker for the previous generation XTR shifters (M970 and M980), see picture below.
However, the M970 and M980 shifter pods have a groove that these matchmakers are designed for:
Whereas the new M9000 shifters don't have that groove:

Does anyone think it can work anyway? Maybe if I sand down the grooves on the matchmakers to a completely flat interface?

2. Find someone who can make me a matchmaker, preferably CNC aluminium. Does anyone know how I can go about finding someone who would be willing to do this without charging a massive amount for the job? Obviously, with this solution it might be easier to design the matchmaker to work with the i-spec top cover of the M9000 shifters:

I really appreciate all input on the matter.

Jmdesignz2

by Jmdesignz2

seems like the integrated lever does not really lose that much weight? Achieves only slightly cleaner cockpit.

How wide are your bars? Do you have short fingers?

This seems low on the cost/ benefit if you are running wide bars and have normal length fingers.
My opinion - Better off buying XTR M9000 brakes than paying someone to machine two intricate and high tolerance adapters to run your Hope brakes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelD

by MichaelD

Can't quite work out where the groove is, but ... are the shifter covers interchangeable? If so, that could be your answer

CGT

by CGT

I don't think the covers are interchangeable. If you look at the M980 cover, you see that the metal clamp can slide sideways on the cover, and there are grooves to make sure the shifter pod doesn't rotate around the clamp interface.

MichaelD

by MichaelD

OK, I see what you mean.

You could file off the clamp to flatten it, but then would need something to stop the pod rotating. Epoxy resin might do the job, but adding a second bolt would be more reliable, if you can get something to fit alongside the current bolt.

Pop

by Pop

Is it still impossible to find a method to "match"Hope Race levers and m9000 shifters, doesn't it??
:( :( :(

marecej

by marecej

Unno Horn = 8100g
Ellsworth Truth = 9371g

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Pop

by Pop

marecej wrote:this is supposed to work
https://www.merlincycles.com/hope-tech- ... 91002.html
I think they're only for Tech3... it's still imposible with Hope Race levers, I think

Enviado desde mi ONEPLUS A3003 mediante Tapatalk