RaceFace Cinch Axle w/Hollowgram?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Has anyone here taken a look at the RF Cinch axle, and compared it to the Cannondale Hollowgram spindle?

Based on pictures, they look very similar. Does the RF axle fit in a Hollowgram crankset?

I have a Stages/SiSL, and want to be able to swap it between my BB30 race bike and my BSA Santa Cruz TB LTC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ole

by Ole

They are interchangeable, many people use Race Face fatbike axles with SiSL arms.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Ole wrote:They are interchangeable, many people use Race Face fatbike axles with SiSL arms.

Ah! Thank you very much!

Will post pictures when build is complete.

Think: Long-travel backcountry XC. Hoping for 23lbs.

Parts list:
Santa Cruz Tallboy LT Carbon
RS Pike RCT3 at 130mm
-1 DEG Angleset
BSA 30 BB
SiSL Cranks
Hylix Seatpost
Fizik Antares Carbon Saddle
XX1 drivetrain
XT brakes
ENVE wheels
Syntace Vector Carbon Low10 740mm
Syntace FlatForce

Last edited by LeDuke on Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Sounds like a very nice build! I have been interested in long travel WW builds, so I will be psyched to see how yours comes out!

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

So the very obvious weight weenie question: Which one is lighter RF Cinch or Holowgram axle?

LeDuke

by LeDuke

I'll let you know. But, only one will work with BSA30 BBs, so it's of little consequence.

timbat

by timbat

I'm using the 134.5 mm length spindle on a BB92 version of the Cinch BB with Cannondale hollowgram arms without issue.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

The RF axle was a few grams lighter than the older version of the Hollowgram axle. I.e., the one with no holes drilled in the ends.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Kristinka

by Kristinka

RF spindle is compatible w/ hollowgram Si. But the Q factor is pretty big. 171mm.

grover

by grover

For the record, SRAM BB30 spindles are also compatible with Hollowgram Si arms.

ms6073

by ms6073

Kristinka wrote:RF spindle is compatible w/ hollowgram Si. But the Q factor is pretty big. 171mm.

Always confuses me why this type of question seems to keep reappearing. How is it that nobody understands that there is no offset with a hollowgram spider on SISL arms? In simplest terms, this means when attempting to employ hollowgram crank arms in a non-BB30/PF30 application, while a longer spindle makes it possible to install the crank, all it does is push the chainrings (or chainring in the case of a 1X drivetrain) further away from the frame, thus further away from the best chainline?
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

timbat

by timbat

Re qfactor, surely the 134.5 mm RF axle will present a smaller q factor than the 137 mm Cannondale axle for SiSL2 ?

Compared to BB30 on a Cannondale with a 132mm axle the RF option is only 2.5 mm wider ... Or am I missing something!?!

timbat

by timbat

timbat wrote:Re qfactor, surely the 134.5 mm RF axle will present a smaller q factor than the 137 mm Cannondale axle for SiSL2 ?

Compared to BB30 on a Cannondale with a 132mm axle the RF option is only 2.5 mm wider ... Or am I missing something!?!

Answering my own question, the Q factor for Cannondale Hollowgram is rubbish now I look at the closely. Nice and light though!

Lozaen

by Lozaen

May I add a question to this topic?
I am currently riding a Scalpel 29 with Bb30 bottombracket and SISL2 cranks.
I am thinking to switch to either a newer Scalpel, BMC Fourstroke or Scott Spark.
The latter two come with bb92 if I understand right. Since I not only like the crankset itself but also the powermeter installed I would really like to re-use the cranks.
The Spark comes in a version, that is equipped with a Cinch crankset from the manufacturer.
With the powermeter came spacers to move the chainring 3mm closer to the center of the frame if needed.

Do I understand it right, that in principle, it should be possible to simply swap the crankarms and adjust the chainline if needed?
Are there numbers how much the q-factor between hollowgram and cinch cranksets differ when they are installed on the same axle?

Cheers
Interested in buying Carbonsport Lightweight wheels with broken spokes.

BMC Teammachine SLR01 Disc Team 2018|Ridley Helium | Kuota Kross|Cannondale Scalpel 29 Hi-Mod

grover

by grover

Is your current Scalpel a 73mm or 83mm wide shell?

If 73mm shell, the current crankset is designed for a 49mm chainline. You will need your chainline 3mm wider on the Spark and Fourstroke and 6mm wider on a new Scalpel.

If 83mm shell, then the current chainline should be 55mm. That is the same as the current Scalpel and you would need to narrow it 3mm for the Spark and Fourstroke.

The SISL2 arms will attach to the Cinch spindle. You could also just slide your SISL2 spindle through the bottom bracket if it comes with a Cinch crankset. Either way you will need to play with spacers as the bottom bracket widths differ and the depth the cranks go onto the spindle probably differ.

In short, any option will work. But best to get the bike in your hands and have a few bb30 and chainring spacers on hand for trial and error.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com