Mounting Rotor QX1 to Race Face Next SL crank

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mtbstuff

by mtbstuff

Has anyone mounted a Rotor QX1 ring onto a Race Face Next SL crank?
This is going on a fatbike....so I'm limited on cranks.
From photos that I've seen...the Rex direct mount spider seems to have the largest spline opening....wondering if it fits the Race Face splines...or is close enough to modify?
Thanks in advance...

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

Hi, I was curious about same subject. I would have liked to try q-rings with RF next sl for single speed set up, but never was eager enough for modifying the spiders.
But why not trying rotor single ring 34t / 104bcd with RF Cinch spider instead?
Also have you checked chain lines? Some, not sure if all, but at least some fat bikes requires installing RF cinch rings inverted, which will move ring around 6mm outwards, I have no idea how would that work with QX1, just remember reading some complaints about QX1 setup wide chain line, but the ring it self is flat.

I have both S-Works and RF single rings laying around, could compare those interfaces to figure out if there is any chance make S-Works Q-ring spider fit RF next sl arms.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

Doval and Absolute Black are other 'non-round' options for the 104/64mm BCD spider. Experimental Prototype could probably make you something too.
Last edited by jooo on Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mtbstuff

by mtbstuff

Thanks for the replies.
Quantum.....if you could check the difference...that would be great.
I have a Abso Black ring coming.
But not sure how the chainline will work out....and....a 32 could be too much gear on a fatbike in soft snow ( even if I fit a 42 cog)

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

S-Works interface has only 10 concaves or bulges while RF Cinch has 16. It really does not look like one could successfully modify S-Works to fit RF or vice versa with out loosing some contact points.
Maybe Mattias from Experimental Prototype could make you 76mmBCD spider with RF Cinch interface. Absolute Black also has direct mount oval rings, but so far no signs of making rings with RF Cinch interface.

mtbstuff

by mtbstuff

Quantum....thanks for comparing!
I had a email conversation with Abso Black....he said he is getting some inquiries about the Next interface...so it may happen.
I'm going to try his 104 32t oval ring....who knows if the chain line will work...but there's only 1 way to find out.

quantum_Rider

by quantum_Rider

You are welcome. With 104BCD you at least have double and triple spider options. Absolute Black oval ring for Next interface would be interesting for sure. I have had Absolute Black single speed narrow wide "cog" for some months.

mtbstuff

by mtbstuff

I have both the 2 and 3 speed spiders.
It "looks" like the 2 ring might work......but might not with a BIG tire ( waiting for Vee Snowshoe XLs to show up)
I might have to go with the 3 speed spider with the ring mounted outboard....and hopefully the oval clocking will line up.
Then there's turning a 32 in deep snow.....

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Get in touch with Mattias from Experimental Prototype. He just made me QX1 spider for Next SL cinch. I haven't ridden it yet, but it mounted up perfectly.

mtbstuff

by mtbstuff

Thanks dwaharvey!
How is the chain line?
Right now....I'm running the cinch ring reversed....so it's moved out board 7mm (this is on a fat bike)

dwaharvey

by dwaharvey

Haven't yet a chance to install it, but Mattias built it to reproduce the chain line of 51mm of the original ring installed in normal configuration.

LeviR

by LeviR

I just found out Rotor has a Direct Mount Q-Rings for Cinch crankset.

Cheers!

maddog 2

by maddog 2

QX1 rings are 12.5% ovality, as are QCX-1, whereas the standard Q-rings and rings from Absoloute Black, One Up et al are 10%, if that matters to you.

One Up also do oval rings for the cinch interface, up to 36t. They have their own spider but look similar to a DM ring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com