Lightest 24" Kids Mountain Bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cooperdrummond

by cooperdrummond

Thought I would share some pictures and specs from my brother's new titanium 24" race bike. Weighs in at 16lbs 13oz - with the current wire bead 2.1" small block 8 tires. Frame was built by a company in Asia called Go-Riding, one of the nicest titanium frames I've seen! Running the 36T Wolf-Tooth No-drop ring in the front, with XTR 11-36 cassette + Hopes 40T expander ring. Brakes are the Bengal Helix 7b, great lever adjustment for kids, and decent weight. Stan's No-Tubes 24" Crest rims with Industry 9 hubs/spokes. Full list of specs below:

- 24" Titanium Helix Frame - 1392 Grams
- 24" Titanium Fork - 537 Grams
- I9/Stans Wheelset - 1270 Grams
- Bengal Rear Brake - 260 Grams
- Bengal Front Brake - 245 Grams
- Quaxar 160mm Rotors - 68 Grams (each)
- Kenda 24x2.1 Wire Bead - 580 Grams (Approx. each)
- Seatpost KCNC TI Pro Lite - 135 Grams (cut)
- Saddle Tioga D-Spyder - 155 Grams
- Origin 8 Crankset,w/ machined arms - 455 (arms only)
- Eggbeater 11ti Pedals - 167 Grams
- Circus Monkey Scandium Bar - 105 Grams - (cut to 500mm)
- XTR Shifter/Cassette/Derailleur
- Loaded 70mm Stem - 117 Grams

- 16lbs 13oz Total Weight

Going to be getting a different set of tires that will save about 8-10oz, also getting a set of chain-ring bolts to replace the missing ones...

Pictures Below

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

victorduraace

by victorduraace

And now that's AWESOME :)
use some loctite on bolts to prevent losing them

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

So the Notubes rims are standard? I wonder if they were developed for this purpose, or with something else in mind (BMX or trials use maybe). No matter what, it's a cool bike :)

Edit: Why not list the total weight in kgs? :)

cooperdrummond

by cooperdrummond

the_marsbar wrote:So the Notubes rims are standard? I wonder if they were developed for this purpose, or with something else in mind (BMX or trials use maybe). No matter what, it's a cool bike :)

Edit: Why not list the total weight in kgs? :)

I'm not sure what they are made for exactly...but they are super light, and perfect for kids.

Weight in kilograms is 7.6 Kgs.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Wow, nice...........
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

CGT

by CGT

Your kid is so not gonna wanna grow up! Nice work!

BellevueDave

by BellevueDave

Hi there. Could you share the contact information for the frame maker in Asia? I want to get my two boys on some lightweight 24" wheel mountain bikes this year. It's crazy that some of the bikes are over half the weight of my boys.
Thanks.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Not really much saving in the frame (its only about 1/2Kg lighter than a vaguely decent aluminium frame) compared to the rest of the parts, so unless you are speccing those to a high level already the money is better spent on those parts.
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

cooperdrummond

by cooperdrummond

Just thought I would post incase anyone was interested...may be interested in selling this amazing titanium bike if I can find a serious buyer. If anyone is interested please feel free to get in touch with me and I can get some current specs on it and pricing info, etc.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

super interested in this... My daughter has a scott road 24" and it's still pretty heavy. Ideally I'd like to build her a gravel 24" not a full on MTB.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

cooperdrummond wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:25 pm
Just thought I would post incase anyone was interested...may be interested in selling this amazing titanium bike if I can find a serious buyer. If anyone is interested please feel free to get in touch with me and I can get some current specs on it and pricing info, etc.
I might be interested... depend on $ as always. Right now I'm at work and the pictures are not even loading for me.. Might have to drool when I get home.

-Johnny
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

joejack951

by joejack951

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:33 pm
super interested in this... My daughter has a scott road 24" and it's still pretty heavy. Ideally I'd like to build her a gravel 24" not a full on MTB.
Not sure what you are looking to spend but if the budget is there, this is an awesome bike (claimed 16 lbs. 12 oz/7.61 kg): https://www.islabikes.com/product/pro-s ... /luath-24/

My son has had a CNOC 14 and now a Beinn 20 and maybe, some day, if I can persuade the wife, he'll ride a Pro series like the Luath 24.

cooperdrummond

by cooperdrummond

I have the bike somewhat apart right now as I am putting some new parts back on, I will try to get some pictures to anyone that would like to see them as well as pricing info... message me for more details.

cooperdrummond

by cooperdrummond

I am just finishing putting this bike back together. It is a titanium kids bike with 24" wheels. Wheelset is a custom built Industry 9 with Stans Crest tubeless. It has new Shimano XT brakes, new XT shifter, new 11-40T cassette, new narrow-wide 34t chainring, new tires, and new chain. I will have to get my scale out and weigh it once I have the shifter cables and a couple other things installed. This is a one-of-a-kind bike and is spec'd above and beyond what you will find elsewhere.

I'll post a more complete listing next week when I get some more pictures and a weight.

$2100
Attachments
P1040440.JPG
P1040441.JPG
P1040442.JPG
P1040443.JPG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cooperdrummond

by cooperdrummond

Make you kid the happiest kid at Christmas this year!

I have for sale a very special and very unique 24" Titanium kids mountain bike. This is a custom built Titanium frame that we had built for my younger brother in 2014. He raced this bike for the 2014 and 2015 race season. This is as good as it gets as far as kids bikes go - not only light weight, but top-of-the-line components to wrap up this incredible build. Truly one of a kind, and not only functional, but elegant like none other.

This bike has normal wear and scratches on it, the frame is in excellent condition and I just went through and rebuilt the ENTIRE bike with new and re-greased ceramic bearings in the hubs, bottom bracket, and headset as well. I replaced all the cables and did a complete overhaul on everything. 100% ready to go - just needs a kid to ride it!

All the following parts were just installed new on the bike.
- Shimano XT Brakes
- KMC Gold Chain
- Narrow Wide Chainring
- 11-40t Cassette
- New Grips
- New Cables and Housings

Bearings were all gone through and re-greased and cleaned out. Hubs have full ceramic bearings everywhere they are available. Bottom bracket is full titanium with ceramic bearings.

- Industry Nine Hubs with Stans Crest Rims - custom built
- KCNC Lightweight Seatpost
- Loaded Stem
- Custom Machined 155mm Crankset

I will have more specs and weight post as soon as available.

Text me for more info.... 4798413453
Attachments
P1030163.JPG
P1030164.JPG
P1030165.JPG
P1030166.JPG
P1030167.JPG
P1030168.JPG
P1030169.JPG
P1030170.JPG
P1030171.JPG
P1030172.JPG