Best pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

DanW wrote:Shimano cleats are the longest lasting I have used (CB the worst!) but when used with XTR 985 pedals there is definitely and "icy" connection. This gets even worse in the wet and mud but using the same cleats with the Xpedo Ti pedals gives a much more solid pedal-shoe interface even when wet. I tried lots of different shoes with the XTR pedals just in case the tread needed to be taller to grip the pedal body better but still got the icy feel. Xpedo was great with all shoes- no idea why this difference exists but it does

That is just what I'm talking about. I've had the same problem (not as bad though) with M540 pedals. Can't wait till I receive the Xpedos :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yourdaguy

by yourdaguy

That is why I don't like the XTR pedals. They have a ceramic coating to make getting in and out easier but it also makes the pedals a little less "secure" The XT and 540 Shimano pedals and cleats last a very very long time and work extremely well. Their only downside is they don't clear mud very well but I almost never ride in really muddy conditions. If you ride mud a lot then the eggbeaters are the way to go, but you will have a lot more maintenance and expense and possibly downtime on the trails if you don't do preventive maintenance.
For certain parts stiffer is more important than lighter.

sefton

by sefton

I have just bought some XPEDO M8 TI - weight limit 80kg

I only weigh 60kg

however these will be for cyclocross (which involved a lot of balancing all my weight on just one pedal before dismounting)

will it be 80kg limit per pedal?

DanW

by DanW

You will be more than fine Sefton! I've been riding my Xpedos pretty hard for MTB and they have been rock solid despite being 80kg porker and liking to pop off every little lip, rock and root on the trail :D Standing on one leg getting ready to dismount shouldn't even register as a concern!

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Pedalling generally involves putting all your weight, and more besides, on just one pedal at a time ;)

I think you'll be fine.

sefton

by sefton

they look good...but the finish is a little poor - looks a bit like cast iron.

there are to replace my trusty time atac (400g) pedals...hope they live upto expectations and ridiculous amounts of mud

the entry point looks smaller than the time atac...suppose I'll have to be slightly more precise when looking for a quick clip in.

probably over thinking things...just because I've been so happy with the time atac's (apart from weight & looks...and the light versions £££)

sefton

by sefton

just weighed 1 pedal on digital scales - 91g!!!!

Apileoftile

by Apileoftile

KCNC Knife 171 grams for the pair...I've hated clipless for years, and have tried XTR, Eggbeaters and frogs....just love the confidence a good set of platforms gives me.
Or Tioga Spyder 240 grams for the pair
A Pile of Tile
Artistic Tile Inlay

http://youtu.be/9SctEhBljqY

01 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 98 Schwinn Mesa GSX, 04 Ventana El Chamuco, 07 Navara Bliss

Apileoftile

by Apileoftile

.......But, if I were to use clipless pedals....it would be these.....but I'd have ta loose some weight 80kg limit, I'm about 86kg

A Pile of Tile
Artistic Tile Inlay

http://youtu.be/9SctEhBljqY

01 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 98 Schwinn Mesa GSX, 04 Ventana El Chamuco, 07 Navara Bliss

stuka666

by stuka666

What is the experience for the owners of the xpedo m4 and m8 ti?

I had the ritchey paradigm v5, exustar pm215, 215ti and the bebop, all of them rubbish. The spd ones, poor build quality, lot's of noise, random disengaging.. the bebop cleats wear quickly, can't walk on them on rough terrain.

Been thinking of the new xpedo for my new bike, bought some s-track to give them a try.. anyone with racing time and some km's on the xpedo?

DanW

by DanW

The entire thread contains favourable reviews of the Xpedo with detailed comparisons to other designs...

sefton

by sefton

Dan - have you raced CX in them?

DanW

by DanW

MTB XC and Marathon since June last year, including lots of horrible miles through British mud (the main downside of the XTR I wanted to like). My thoughts from throughout the thread about the Xpedos's haven't changed and they continue to be faultless. Easily the best on the market IMO (previous pedals are Time Attac, CB Eggbeaters, XTR, Look) and no compromises in any aspect. No reason why they shouldn't be awesome for CX too.

sefton

by sefton

cheers Dan!

suppose if I seach for XTR I'll read allsorts! thats the web for ya

sefton

by sefton

hmmm...after a quick ride I'm not sure I'll be able to clip in as quickly as the time system.

could cost me time in a cx race

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com