Help me lighten my bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

This is my Giant Nrs, it weighs in at 21.45lbs. I would like to drop 1.5 lbs. Is this possible?

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

You could definitely drop some weight with the wheels. You might also consider updating your suspension, with newer technologies forks and shocks are much lighter then they used to be.
-Zane
Last edited by Zen Cyclery on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

02GF74

by 02GF74

alloy/ti bolts, lighter set clamp and saddle, cut off the rear brake bosses, same n SId forks if they have them.

what do your inner tubes weigh?

Elstorma

by Elstorma

may i suggest going with a flat bar... a mt zoom flat can save you approx 60 gms...
grind off the brake stud bosses (as mentioned)
tune your ec90: swap the clamps for a kcnc set-up ( i got mine to 151g)...
go ti on the bolts...

Mortop headset is a scant 66gms... will prob save you abt 30-40gms

whats the weight of your wheels?

whats the weight of your rear shock?

... by the way do you have a breakdown of the weights of your parts....
might be easier to hone in on the parts that can help...
cos if your frame is a porker... than there isnt too much else to trim...
Last edited by Elstorma on Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Here's the detailed spec sheet. But somehow the weights are off. They dont add up to the scale...

Elstorma

by Elstorma

Few things need factoring... Cables and housing...Grips
, bolts , etc..... The small bits add up. And manufacturers claimed weights are typically abt 5-15% off... Lol.

On the subject of trimming.. Nylon bolts for things like bottle cages. Alu bolts for shifter and brake clamps... Ti bolts for stem , brake calipers and all other items.. This can save u quite abit of weight... Ie 10g of the stem... Etc...even ur frames pivot bolts can be tune to save weight

xc71

by xc71

Extralite foam grips, Power cordz Prime system, DT Swiss XRC 100 = 1130 grams, Tune Speedneedle Alcantara = 89 grams, this should get you half way to your goal. Then Schmolke TLO handlebar & seatpost. TLO riser, OS, 685mm = 100.9 grams. Those RR tires are over weight - get some lighter tires.
Attachments
IMG_1781_1.JPG
IMG_0258_1.JPG
IMG_3022_1.JPG
IMG_0595_1.JPG
IMG_2190_1.JPG

TheRookie

by TheRookie

If the frame really is 2422g, then there is a kilo to be saved in the frame, a fairly average modern frame is 1750g
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Elstorma

by Elstorma

TheRookie wrote:If the frame really is 2422g, then there is a kilo to be saved in the frame, a fairly average modern frame is 1750g

the NRS is a dual sus frame... 2422g is just abt right for most xc dual suss frames not constructed in carbon.....

runningrunningjump

by runningrunningjump

First of all, you've done a fantastic job to get this far! You've clearly spent a lot of cash to get to this weight.

Some obvious candidates have already been made, may I add;

Try 1x9? I love it and run it on all my mtbs. I run 11-34R&32t F on my AM bike and 11-32R&34/36t F on my hardtail with no complaints at all. Never looked back.

Superstar xcr chain guide is 70g and £16 then loose the rings and one set of bolts, that'll save 50-100g, the front mech goes, the front cable and outer alone can be 100g+ front shifter etc, and also you take about 3-5 links from chain, which is about 20g

The best thing about giving this a try is you'll loose about -300g or more for a very small cost, so if you don't get on with it you can go back. You won't go back

Beyond this I'd save for a hardtail frame and swap kit between depending on your mood?

Moreover, have you ever ridden a cannondale flash with the save seatpost? If you haven't do get a demo! Kinda makes real light weight short travel full suss pointless... Actually they'd have you believe it's all down to the frame, but having ridden many cannondales and others it's the save post that does most of the work. So you could get an older quality carbon hardtail maybe a cannondale turine or a standard non hi mod flash frame, both are 1100g-1300g then get the save seatpost which is heavy at 220g and over £100 but is quite amazing! Then drop all your current running gear on, try the 1x9 and you'll possibly save -2kg! And be living the dream (in my humble opinion)

All the best, nice bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I will get the Powercordz Prime sytem but only when I get my new frame. I plan on buying a Santa Cruz Blur Carbon. I did buy Continental Race King Supersonics the total weight for the pair came to 918gr.