Which 29er Leadville

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I am not loving either but right now these are my options. Both fit, and cost about the same.
I will replace the bars, saddle and seatpost and most likely the stem on either bike anyway.

Giant xtc comp
Plus
++ Fox fork with 15mm axel
+ x9 2x10

Minus
Giant? Never been a fan of them
Weight...seams heavy, guessing over 25 lbs
Wheels..some cheezy in house brand

Scott scale expert

Plus
Seems very light sub 23lbs, I am guessing
DT Swiss xr39 wheels, do not know much about them but they have to be better than what comes on the giant.

Negatives
Rock shox Reba fork
XT and slx mix, Slx shifters and front der.
3x10

Interested to hear opinions.

andrewryangibson

by andrewryangibson

The new Reba is really good, and super light. Same for slx shifters. I say for the Scott scale!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2002maniac

by 2002maniac

reba is a negative? I'd go with the scale for sure.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Just came home with the Scott. swapped out the stem during the fitting. Put my saddle on when I got home. 22.8 lbs.
still going to put lighter bars and seatpost.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

triple rings is not such a bad thing. much less of a momentum killer when shifting rings. for leadville, you may even leave the granny ring at home- for the psychological edge only.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

I will never ever use a 24-36. I am sure it would be faster to walk, or crawl on my belly.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

I haven't ridden Leadville but have trained with some people who have done the running race, and I have ridden a lot in the area.

If you think you can ride up Telegraph on 32-36 you should probably be racing world cups. Even the lead group usually walk this, and in the running race many, many world class runners are left sitting on the hill, crying, with uncontrollable cramps.

The scott was the better choice.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

No, not a 32-36, but surely a 24-30 or 32. Sounds like there will be walking any way because of the log jam

dhphat

by dhphat

I'm not a fan of Scott or Giant, but i think the REBA is a plus. I'd get the Scott.
Rapha cycling's Ed Hardy

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Wondering if it is possible to remove the 24 and 32 chain rings and add a 28 for the middle?
Essentially making a 2x10 with the 42 and 28. Does anyone know if that will work?

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

32t is the smallest that will fit in the middle position, you have a 104bcd to contend with.
some people use a 27 or 28 in the INNER position, with the 42 or similar in the middle spot, nothing in the outer of course. chainline is a bit funny, but not as bad as one would think, as triple chainlines are biased to the outside right now anyways. clearance to the chainstays is iffy, though. you have to investigate that.

Tokyo Drifter

by Tokyo Drifter

if you think you can ride up telegraph at all you should probably be racing world cups. AFAIK, the only time it has been ridden up during the race was by Lance Armstrong and Dave Wiens...

You will need all the gears you can get for Leadville. It is brutally steep and at a retarded altitude.

michel2

by michel2

im laughing my head off !! (-:

Chiva

by Chiva

Ok, its Powerline, not Telegraph. Its brutal b/c you have about 85 miles in your legs already. With the right gearing though, it can be ridden. I can clean Columbine and Powerline w/ my 20 x 34 granny gear in training. I felt strong on both climbs. I'm now on a 20 x 36 granny gear. A guy I know with similar fitness to myself rode the entire course, no walking at all, in about 8:40. He rode a HT 29er w/ a 20 x 36 granny gear too. I asked him if he could have made it in a 20 x 34. He said no way. He's one of 2 guys to finish every Leadville that's been raced. So, check your ego at the start line. Get a triple w/ an easy bail out gear. Riding is faster than walking. I've tried both and when I ride up, its faster. Plus, who wants to push their bike?? Not me. Its mountain bike riding, not pushing. Sometimes you gotta push and that's ok, but if you can set yourself up to succeed, then do it. Don't say, "well I'm going to have to walk anyway so I won't even try to ,I'll just use a 40/28 double". Your legs will be toast unless to train on a SS regularly and are accustomed to that much muscle tension for that many hours.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

Tokyo Drifter wrote:if you think you can ride up telegraph at all you should probably be racing world cups. AFAIK, the only time it has been ridden up during the race was by Lance Armstrong and Dave Wiens...

Exactly... I will be walking the steeper parts anyway. So what difference will it make if I walk with the triple or double?

I like the idea of a 2x10 better. I will ride leadville 1x. I am sure I can manage without that gear, and I think that I will be forced to walk because of the mass of people, regardless of gearing.
And if I couldn't walk it faster than you could make it up in your 20x3? I could surely push you over :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com