Trek Supercaliber Manual lockout for Isostrut

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

boots2000

by boots2000

I am considering a Trek Supercaliber.

What is involved in converting an Isostrut rear shock to a manual lockout? Is this possible with both the Fox and the Rockshox rear shock? Do I get parts from the shock manufacturer or from Trek for this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ezno

by ezno

That was going to be my original plan, but after spending a week with my supercaliber on my local trails, I realized a front manual lockout was all I needed. When you sprint from a dead start, that rear shock opened, feels almost locked. Once on the trails up to speed, much better control with rear shock always opened. Doesnt climb or feel any faster with rear locked, but everyone is different.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I would ask a trek dealer for parts, locking out both front and rear is still significantly faster up a fireroad climb than not doing it, but on the trails leaving the shocks open results in more traction

boots2000

by boots2000

Shop doesnt know anything about the rear shock. But I know that people have done it.

ezno

by ezno

The 9.7 comes with manual lockout. So yes, Trek or Fox can order you the part which will cost about half the amount of the shock. Shock is about $1,200.00 so they will probably charge you $600.00 for the part!

rothwem

by rothwem

FWIW, these have an insane ordering wait time. They quoted me 20 months for a large 9.7 at the Trek Store in Greenville, SC!

nickf

by nickf

rothwem wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:55 pm
FWIW, these have an insane ordering wait time. They quoted me 20 months for a large 9.7 at the Trek Store in Greenville, SC!
OT but I'm located in TR.

Lead times are absolutely nuts right now.

Aikon

by Aikon

nickf wrote:
rothwem wrote:
Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:55 pm
OT but I'm located in TR.

Lead times are absolutely nuts right now.
You might be able to find a store that has an unsold one on order with a shorter lead time.

MattMay

by MattMay

I looked into it. Called Fox. Two options: replace the top cap, which requires disassembling the bike to remove the isostrut, sending in to Fox, roughly $300 conversion if you expedite it. You’re still out a bike for a few weeks, not including scheduling disassembly/reassembly with your LBS. you can do it yourself but it ain’t easy…you have to remove the whole rear triangle.

Other option is buy straight from Fox, over $600. Then replace, amd maybe sell the original.

For me, I don’t have the remote connected. Since default is open and the anti squat is so high I just ride it like that. The shock doesn’t move during smooth pedaling, so for me the only reason to lock out is sprinting, which just never happens.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mcfarton

by mcfarton

Last I checked Rockville MD Trek shop has a large in stock. It’s high end and has xtr on it. It has red white and blue paint. Kinda nice looking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk