38t Chainring vs Chainstay Clearance

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

scapie

by scapie

I want to fit a 38t chainring to a trek procaliber. It is a boost sized frame and the issue I have is that with a 36t boost chainring the teeth are quite close to the chainstay. It works well but I’d like to have a slightly larger gear for more open trails.

Has anyone run a 0mm offset ring or have any input to make a best workable solution here?

by Weenie

Marin

by Marin

Got a 10t cassette? If not, get one, if yes, get a 9t.

Marin

by Marin

BTW, 38-10 is insanely long gearing for off-road, I can pedal this to 65kph on my gravel bike on tarmac. Work on your cadence maybe?

DanW

by DanW

It is probably more relevant that 32-42 (what most people would use with 11 speed XX1 to winch up Enduro bikes) is the same as 38-51 on the easy end of the cassette. Why not gain 5mph on the harder end of the cassette vs 32t (90rpm) for no compromise the other end? It isn't that crazy at all

scapie

by scapie

the reason i want a bigger front ring is its not that hilly where i live and i like to use the mtb for not just single track but also more open trails. with the 36 the majority of the time i am down in the bottom 1/3rd of the cassette and so i want to just adjust the ratio a little so i can ride a more big/big combo if you know what i mean.

i do have a 10t and i don't like the feel of it at all. if i could i'd happily get rid of it.

TurboKoo

by TurboKoo

If I remember correctly Garbaruk has size specific offset which should be answer to you.
Scott Foil
Shimano 9150
Shimano FCR-9100-P
Shimano C60 tubulars

scapie

by scapie

TurboKoo wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:17 am
If I remember correctly Garbaruk has size specific offset which should be answer to you.
thats exactly what i'm after! thanks alot!!

by Weenie

robbosmans

by robbosmans

scapie wrote:the reason i want a bigger front ring is its not that hilly where i live and i like to use the mtb for not just single track but also more open trails. with the 36 the majority of the time i am down in the bottom 1/3rd of the cassette and so i want to just adjust the ratio a little so i can ride a more big/big combo if you know what i mean.

i do have a 10t and i don't like the feel of it at all. if i could i'd happily get rid of it.
Yeah I feel you, that 10t just feels slow and weird

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk