A MTB power meter

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

robbosmans

by robbosmans

What is the best MTB powermeter? Ideally spider or pedal based. I have an XX1 GXP carbon 3 bolt crank and would like to keep these since bb92.

I am looking at:

Spiders:
NG Eco: €590
Xcadey: $299
Sigeyi: $299
Quarq: €709 (why cant they just use 3 bolt??)

Crank:
Stages GXP MTB: ~ €507

Pedals:
IQ Square: €329 (If they ever start shipping)
SRM X-power: Way to expensive

Any advice/experiences?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Last edited by robbosmans on Wed May 27, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MartinRa

by MartinRa

I use the NG Eco since nearly 2 years an i am very happy with it. Numbers while doing vo2 Intervals seem the same as with my SRM on my Supersix. I am also washing the bike regulary with a gardenhose at quite high pressure, no problems so far. Also no problems in the winter. I think i will get a second one for my other bike, tired of switching the crankset every time.

by Weenie

DOUG

by DOUG

I have the Power2Max NG Eco as well and have been very happy with it. Hasnt skipped a beat in the 18 months I've had it fitted to my Scalpel
Last edited by DOUG on Thu May 28, 2020 1:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

commendatore

by commendatore

+1 on the P2M NG Eco

rsantos450

by rsantos450

Inpeak power meter

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Thanks for the suggestions, i think I am going to risk it and go for an Xcadey spider, the reviews are great and the price is to.

NG Eco would be my second pick if it doesn’t work out.

tutle2020

by tutle2020

Also using the NG Eco with my XT cranks and cannot be happier, works as well as my Assioma's on the road. No drops and no erratic readings. And it works with oval chainrings which is a must for me.

VanillaGorilla

by VanillaGorilla

Quarq for me...

MartinRa

by MartinRa

I would Consider quarq if you do not allready have a light crankset and want one. otherwise p2m is the cheaper option :)

DanW

by DanW

I went with P2M NG Eco on SRAM XX1 cranks since it doesn't having any funny fitting requirements (Quarq), comes out as a lightish cheapish option and P2M have an outstanding reputation for their quality and robustness (Quarq seem to fall more on the Stages side of the scale in that respect).

The only downside I could see was the battery cover and I reckon that is a deliberate ploy by P2M to try and make a distinction between the two models and try to sell some of the more expensive PM's to anyone with similar worries. In reality I've abused the NG Eco in all sorts of mud, rain, ham fisted washing and it hasn't missed a beat. I did also wonder if I would yearn for any of the paid for extra metrics but again they are so little use day to day that keeping the cost down without them is a far bigger win.

Short version is that the P2M was the easy choice for quality, price and robustness :thumbup:

carbonazza

by carbonazza

I have the high end P2M on my road bike.
It is very basic in fact, works well.
Didn't want to restart after charging once.
And did let me down mid-ride once.
I've obviously lost while riding the stupid USB plug cover.

On my gravel I have a quarq dzero.
Just a couple of months after the 2 years warranty period it started to show me all of a sudden supernatural power.
I contacted Quarq, for a potential out of warranty fix, and they offered me a replacement. Very nice of them.
Never had any issue with this one.

And now for my MTB and satisfy my metrics lust, I will try the Xcadey. Because of the price and the nice reviews.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Just sucks that quarq cant make a gxp version, i am not putting a 30mm axle in my bb92

snaxez

by snaxez

Try to find a used XX1 GXP Quarq, or used XX1 GXP crank with 8 bolt patern and buy dzero spider for it.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

I didn’t know they would exist ?

by Weenie

snaxez

by snaxez

They did not sell 8 bolt GXP XX1 crank sepretly like the DUB one, but if you are lucky, then you may find one used. I think there has been some talk about 24mm DUB spindele as well (DUB24?), but I`m not sure if and when they would release it.
I just bought a used GXP XX1 Quarq for my Scott Spark, as I don`t want to push DUB crank thru my BB92 frame.