2020 Trek Top Fuel

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TheRich wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:17 am
Karvalo wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:16 am
Nino runs a 38t most races. The DM chainring is a stock part from Sram.
Of course they make big chainrings, the question is how they fit on the bikes. Specific frame design, different chainring offset, crank spindle spacers?
Standard offsets and they just fit frames desgned for world cup XC.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Mine. Needs a 34t chain ring. Need to ride it more too.

by Weenie

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

TheRich wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:47 am
Just got back from a 32 mile shakedown ride and I'm impressed.

(Un)Important stuff: Weight for my M/L (18.5) 9.9XX1 with heavy brakes, heavy pedals, bottle cage and GPS mount was 25lbs, 2oz/ 11.42kg. Stock brakes and lighter pedals would easily cut 3/4lb from the weight. The Kovee Pro carbon wheels aren't Trek's lightest offering either.

I'm coming off three years of riding a Stache because nobody really made bikes like this back then, so the low stack height, low bars and the cute little 2.4 (more like 2.35) XR3s on the Top Fuel threw me off initially, but I was pleasantly surprised how well everything worked, especially the tires. Suspension is a little harsh, I started out with what Fox calls "plush" 20% sag, 13 clicks (from open) of the open mode adjust with the 120mm Fox SC fork and Fox's 30%/16mm suggestion for sag on the rear shock....since I'm coming off a HT, the stiff rear suspension didn't bother me just like I thought it wouldn't. The fork, otoh, that was really harsh, but only on small impacts, because if the front tire leaves the ground, it lands nice and soft for some reason. Although I'm still trying to figure out tire pressure because this is my first actual 29er, I was running 22/25psi which felt good but maybe not perfect for my 172lbs without clothes.

This is my first experience with Eagle and the 32t chainring is way too small, I didn't use the 50t and don't really see many (if any) situations where I would. A Quark PM spider/crank and 34t chainring (the biggest the frame will fit) will be on the way soon. At worst It'll just keep me further up on the cassette and turn the 10t into a real overdrive gear. An extra few mph on the top end may well come in useful in a race one day, although I doubt it.

Trek calls it a marathon race bike but aside from the harshness of the SC fork, it's a short travel sporty trail bike. It'll be used for a mild enduro and some endurance racing (50mile and six-hour) on top of general riding around. Maybe put an XR2 on the back for endurance racing and an XR4 or DHF on the front for the enduro.
Nice write up and amazing bike. Looks superb there, where is it as would to love to do some riding around them trails/mountains?
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

TheRich

by TheRich

kingkongsfinger wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:28 pm
Nice write up and amazing bike. Looks superb there, where is it as would to love to do some riding around them trails/mountains?
That's at the Cottonwood trail system in Blue Diamond (Las Vegas), NV.

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

TheRich wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:39 am
kingkongsfinger wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:28 pm
That's at the Cottonwood trail system in Blue Diamond (Las Vegas), NV.
Cheers, love it !!
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

TheRich

by TheRich

Added a volume spacer to the fork, lowered the pressure by 10psi and that really helped tame most of the harshness out of it.

Sag increased but the smaller air volume is going to keep it from bottoming out noticeably...after measuring fork travel after today's ride it used less travel than the last time I rode those trails without the spacer at higher pressure.