Light / fast MTB for 100 miles

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

by 4536

12 speed anything is really heavy (from a WW point of view)

I would rather use 11 with the appropriate spread. 10 would of course weigh even less, but nowhere near the difference between 11 and 12.

F45

by F45

2x11 aluminum or carbon fs, 100/100 or 100/120. Wanting something fast and light with a small budget just isn't going to work.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

froze

by froze

NickJHP wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:01 pm
Here's Geoff Kabush leading the Iceman Cometh MTB race (which he won). He's riding an Open Up gravel frame with drop bars...

He's not just leading on a hardtail he's also leading using a rigid fork! Unless your racing fast technical downhill stuff I really don't see the need for a suspension fork, plus it will lighten the bike up and save some watts for the rear wheel instead of some being absorbed by the suspension fork, in addition you can't beat the reliability and simplicity of a rigid fork. There are some new bikes out now with a so called suspension fork that uses either an internal shock contained inside the head tube, which again isn't for major shocks but it dampen shocks pretty well, and for non technical downhill riding those would be fine. If your unconvinced read this: https://nsmb.com/articles/ride-rigid-fork/

Of course you did mention catching air, not sure how big of air you're talking about, a 1/2 a foot or so is no problem with a rigid fork bike, but doing an 6 foot jump could blow tires which you probably don't want to do on a 100 mile ride out in nowhere land.

I use to live in Southern California and all I rode down rocky mountain trails was a hardtail rigid fork bike but I kept up just fine with my friends who had suspension forks, but we weren't racing either, or see who can get the most amount of hang time, we stayed pretty much on the ground with some hops to get over obstacles, just too many rocks to try to go flying.

Just food for thought.

joeg26er

by joeg26er

LeDuke wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:09 pm
I’d get a Chinese carbon HT over a Niner any day of the week. More geometry choices, better weights, less than half the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And If/ when they break and put you in the hospital you've got nobody to sue LOL ;)

LeDuke

by LeDuke

joeg26er wrote:
LeDuke wrote:
I’d get a Chinese carbon HT over a Niner any day of the week. More geometry choices, better weights, less than half the cost.

And If/ when they break and put you in the hospital you've got nobody to sue LOL ;)
There’s a 9,000+ post thread about them on MTBR.

I’m not concerned.

Bonesbrigade

by Bonesbrigade

LeDuke wrote:

I find the world of Chinese carbon tricky to navigate. Do you know which one seems to be the front runner these days? Modern geo, threaded bb?

AndySti

by AndySti

Focus Raven?

I just built this up in December and it's been great. 8.9kgs fully built and it rides well.

TimF

by TimF

Big fan of Felt who are massively underrated as MTB's. Also really comforable to ride.

You could buy off the shelf like SteveB has spotted and upgrade the poor components.

Nice Focus! What's the build price and full spec?

TimF

by TimF

4536 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:00 pm

I would rather use 11 with the appropriate spread. 10 would of course weigh even less, but nowhere near the difference between 11 and 12.
Not heard this before, what's the story?

Quintet100

by Quintet100

If interested I have built as a project a 17lb 29er hardtail with a lauf.
Cube gtc slt frame.
Very light and fast.
Selling for £2000
Message me if interested

by 573

I did, you didn't ever respond. :D

To close this off, I was contacted by another user, DanW and he offered me a 29" XC bike he'd built up and used for a few years. It seemed to fit my needs perfectly so we met up and I bought it off him.

This is the spec:

...and this is from my maiden voyage on her:

I've since had a few training rides on the SDW and it seems perfect for the task. It's so fast compared to my Santa Cruz too. Thanks anyone who offered help and advice.

TheRich

by TheRich

TimF wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:45 am
4536 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:00 pm

Not heard this before, what's the story?
Because you might end up with gearing on one end that you just don't use, depending on how strong you are...which end that is depends on your chainring choice.