what hub is this? -> Edco

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
User avatar
C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005
Posts: 3237
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Contact:

by C a s r a n

Does any one know what hub this is?

Used by Quick Step riders, and I saw other pros riding it as well.

Does anyone have experiences with these kind of hubs? Thx.

Image
Last edited by C a s r a n on Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image

by Weenie


sharkman
Posts: 1390
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:32 pm
Location: the Netherlands

by sharkman

Hey Casran,

Makes me think of the cheaper edco hubs (the ones Van Tuyl uses) but not 100% certain.

User avatar
Ivan
Posts: 354
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2003 7:11 pm
Contact:

by Ivan

I remebered some time ago (not really sure how long ago) sapim introduced a couple of MTB hubs that looked quite the same. Black with the V-shape in the centre. From this picture I cannot really tell its a sapim hub or not, just a guess by the looks, so dont quote me on that.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

User avatar
C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005
Posts: 3237
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Contact:

by C a s r a n

sharkman wrote:Hey Casran,

Makes me think of the cheaper edco hubs (the ones Van Tuyl uses) but not 100% certain.



Yes, that's it, now I remember the name the mechanic told me! :idea: Thx Sharkman.

Not good? Why are they making wheels with them? A little search learned Sapim owns the production of Edco cycling components (http://www.edco.ch). Gilbert Cattoir made wheels with these hubs for some pro riders, I've seen.
However, although I took this picture in the team car of QuickStep during the Ronde van Vlaanderen, Boonen raced with Record hubs.

Image --> not really WW with 187 gr front and 296 gr rear according to the Edco website
Image

User avatar
C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005
Posts: 3237
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Contact:

by C a s r a n

Ivan wrote:I remebered some time ago (not really sure how long ago) sapim introduced a couple of MTB hubs that looked quite the same. Black with the V-shape in the centre. From this picture I cannot really tell its a sapim hub or not, just a guess by the looks, so dont quote me on that.



You'll be right, since Edco says on his website: "The bicycle part has been taken over in 2001 by Sapim, Belgium." !
Image

Dennis
Posts: 729
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2004 1:31 am
Location: Belgium

by Dennis

Maybe some lighter prototype from Edco (Sapim) for the road.

User avatar
Boonen
Posts: 2436
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:33 am
Location: Europe

by Boonen

I have raced with wheels with EDCO hubs a couple of years ago. They where in a pair of Rigida wheels and had straight spokes that go directly into the hub (the hubs looked a bit like the heliums I had back then). They also had the V-shape in them. I really liked these wheels. They where stiff and the hubs where really smooth. I got the wheels to use in a couple of races and I really liked them. I can't imagine Quickstep using the hubs if they weren't any good.

User avatar
spookyload
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:47 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM

by spookyload

Mavic POS skewer too.

User avatar
lancejohnson
Posts: 2832
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:08 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Contact:

by lancejohnson

i have never had edco hubs, but have heard only positive things about their smoothness and durability
___________________________________________________

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

User avatar
spookyload
Posts: 1010
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:47 am
Location: Albuquerque, NM

by spookyload

Edco was making hubs for zipp a few years back. Don't know if they still are. They also were making hubs for Spinergy when they released the gen 1 xyclone and xero's

sharkman
Posts: 1390
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 8:32 pm
Location: the Netherlands

by sharkman

Edco produce hubs for loads of wheel manufacturers. Didn't say they wheren't good in fact they are great and besides heavy they are relatively cheap and indestructable (in fact the only good thing in the van Tuyl wheels). Bearings are cheap (SKF) and easy to replace, these hubs are perfect for cross country use.

User avatar
C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005
Posts: 3237
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Contact:

by C a s r a n

sharkman wrote:Edco produce hubs for loads of wheel manufacturers. Didn't say they wheren't good in fact they are great and besides heavy they are relatively cheap and indestructable (in fact the only good thing in the van Tuyl wheels). Bearings are cheap (SKF) and easy to replace, these hubs are perfect for cross country use.



True... I did some further research. Apparently Mario De Clercq and several pro riders used these in cyclo cross (all wheels made by Cattoir with Sapim logo, he uses Corima rims; team is Sapim sponsored):

Image
Image

User avatar
C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005
Posts: 3237
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Contact:

by C a s r a n

Today I rode my last road race for 2005; it was won by Nikolas Maes (Beveren2000-QuickStep)... with Edco hubs. :)

Image
Image

User avatar
Boonen
Posts: 2436
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:33 am
Location: Europe

by Boonen

C a s r a n wrote:True... I did some further research. Apparently Mario De Clercq and several pro riders used these in cyclo cross (all wheels made by Cattoir with Sapim logo, he uses Corima rims; team is Sapim sponsored):


You know this is Davy Commeyne right :wink:
Just found out a friend of mine used these edco hubs in his cx bike last year (and this year as well) without any problems. If they can surfive a season of powercleaning and next to no maintenace I think they are pretty strong and have good sealed bearings.

by Weenie


User avatar
C a s r a n
WW of the Year 2005
Posts: 3237
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:54 am
Location: Flanders, Belgium
Contact:

by C a s r a n

Boonen wrote:
C a s r a n wrote:True... I did some further research. Apparently Mario De Clercq and several pro riders used these in cyclo cross (all wheels made by Cattoir with Sapim logo, he uses Corima rims; team is Sapim sponsored):


You know this is Davy Commeyne right :wink:
Just found out a friend of mine used these edco hubs in his cx bike last year (and this year as well) without any problems. If they can surfive a season of powercleaning and next to no maintenace I think they are pretty strong and have good sealed bearings.



Yes I do. 8) I first placed a picture of Mario De Clercq, but then found a better one (from Commeyne) to see the hubs and replaced it.

Next Wednesday first big cyclo cross race of the season (with Sven Nys, Sven Vanthourenhout, Davy Commeyne, my teammate Jan Soetens, Niels Albert, Thomas Frishknecht, Christian Heule, Camiel VDBergh, Mariusz Gil, Jonathan Page, Jens Schwedler...) in my home town Aalter! 8) :D
Image

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post