Best chain lube?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

cavinsoo

by cavinsoo

This is going to get a lot of attention. I would like to know which chain lube is the best. I couldn't find a website that reviews chain lube. Thanks in advance for all contributions.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cavinsoo

by cavinsoo

Thank you very much. By the way, what is the difference between dry and wet lube?

Danton

by Danton

Wet stays wet on the chain. Dry sees the solvent evaporate and leave a dry residue on the chain, it feels dry to touch.

2 wheels

by 2 wheels

When you squirt it out of the bottle, wet lube looks like regular oil with the same viscosity. Dry lube looks clear like water and has viscosity like water.
The wet part in the dry lube is solvent which only purpose is to help the dry lubricating part of the lube to penentrate the chain and then the solvent evaporates once onto the chain. Dry lube has e.g. Teflon (PTFE) as the lubricating part instead of regular oil like in wet lube.
Dry lube easily wahses out of the chain in rain, so wet lube is more water resistant than dry lube.
Wet lube attractcs more dirt to the chain than dry lube because it stays wet and also sticks to the outside of the chain.

Finish Line's description of dry lube and wet lube:

Dry lube: http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/t ... s-lube.htm
DRY Lube made with Teflon® fluoropolymer

The industry’s original “dry” lubricant. Finish Line DRY Lube goes on wet, but then sets up in a dry, ‘paste-like’ film so it will not attract or absorb grit and grime. Teflon® fluoropolymer and specialized synthetic oils run silky smooth and provide excellent durability. Perfect for on or off-road riding – especially in dry, dirty, dusty conditions, while still providing adequate wet weather performance. Holds up to extreme pressures and resists water wash-off. A very versatile all-weather chain lubricant. Also, use on derailleurs, brake and shifter pivots. Features superior penetration qualities. Finish Line DRY Lube provides incredible drivetrain efficiency without attracting an excessive amount of contaminants – our most popular, best selling, most versatile lubricant.

Wet lube: http://www.finishlineusa.com/products/c ... y-lube.htm
WET Lube (Cross Country™)

An “extreme” lube; super durable high viscosity synthetic oils, special polymers, anti-wear additives, friction modifiers, and more, all combine to make this Finish Line’s strongest, longest lasting, most water resistant lubricant. WET Lube goes on wet and stays wet on the chain. Recommended for long-distance riding and extreme weather conditions. If you use WET Lube for riding off-road or in dry climates, be sure to wipe the excess from parts; this will help minimize the attraction of dirt and grime. Since 1994, when this lube was first introduced, it has become the preferred lubricant for many professional on and off-road teams world-wide. Use WET Lube when you ride hard and long. Proven performance for 100-plus mile rides, muddy off-road conditions, long rainy commutes, and foggy salt-air coastal climates. A heavier, wet-style lubricant that requires a little more attention to drivetrain cleanliness, but delivers the ultimate in lubricity and protection.

A heavier, wet-style lubricant that requires a little more attention to drivetrain cleanliness, but delivers the ultimate in lubricity and protection.

Gearjunkie

by Gearjunkie

Ok, so where to buy Dumonde Tech lite on the web, without going to the burglars at Competitive Cyclist?

Any help much appreciated. :D

Redddraggon

by Redddraggon

Slight OT:

I've used wet lube 100% until now, as living in North Wales means that there's a good chance of loads of rain all year around. I've just got some dry lube - assuming that I wipe the chain down and reapply the dry lube after every ride the dry lube will be fine to use even if it happens to rain on a ride?

the Repeater

by the Repeater

Not so much, mostly.

It'll wash off and you'll have a nice noisy, dry chain the next day.

During periods of heavy rainfall, I'll use the grease trick. I admittedly was just copying mechanics, but it really does work great.
Serious delirium.

bobbyOCR

by bobbyOCR

If it's dry, Squirt lube. Brilliant gear.

If it's wet, finish line XC.
Cyclist turned music producer

Visiting South West Australia? Visit Crank n' Cycles!

phil3202

by phil3202

The best thing I have ever found is Pedros syn greese. Unusual I know but simply pull the plunger out of a 10ml syringe and squirt it in, replace the plunger and gently apply one little drop on each roller, run your fingers over it and continue. Works brilliantly. Never have the problem of dry lube running off and wet lube spashing black all over your wheels

Anaszi

by Anaszi

the Repeater wrote:During periods of heavy rainfall, I'll use the grease trick. I admittedly was just copying mechanics, but it really does work great.

What's the grease trick?

chrism

by chrism

Not sure if it's a UK only thing, but for when it's going to be wet (ie year round on the MTB :roll: ) I use Purple Extreme nowadays rather than Finish Line XC. Works just as well, but the chain stays a lot cleaner.
No scales on the trails

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Anaszi wrote:
the Repeater wrote:During periods of heavy rainfall, I'll use the grease trick. I admittedly was just copying mechanics, but it really does work great.

What's the grease trick?

Hi,

Quite simple really, when you expect to be riding in pouring rain run some PTFE loaded grease over the chain.
It will keep the chain lubricated as it won't wash off easily.

Ciao, :wink:
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

CoachPotatoBilly

by CoachPotatoBilly

*****As stupid as this may sound.... I have seen guys use vaseline on their chains when they knew they were in for a torrential downpour ride/race - the stuff is cheap enough to slather on, and it is amazingly resistant to being washed off with water, etc... We used to joke that the guy who came up with this advice was probably on probation or parole from prison where one has to be resourceful AND fast, especially if they come from a cycling background and have shaven legs, etc.... :lol:

Billy

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FreaK

by FreaK

well someone just made my day :)
it's actually possible to come to the conclusion even before realising it makes no sense at all
-
tymon_tm