Skewer choice: KCNC or OMNI Racer

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
tsteahr

by tsteahr

Hi,

I'm in the market for a set of fairly light skewers and I have come down to the above two. I am leaning toward KCNC but at the moment everyone is sold out of black (the color I want). OMNI Racer is available right now on ebay. The best info I can get on black KCNC availability is mid June at the earliest. Should I wait a month or so for the KCNC or just get the OMNI Racer and be done with it?

Thanks!

clingenpeel

by clingenpeel

I've got a pair of the old M2 skewers (which I believe the omni racer is just a knock-off of) and the KCNC...and, without question, the KCNC are nicer in terms of durability and usability...wait for the KCNC...I think they are about 40% less in price also ($100US vs $60US)

by Weenie

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

The new OmniRacer skewers are pretty nice. I've been riding mine for about 2 weeks and they're just as good as the M2Racers they replaced. I bought a black pair for myself and blue ones for my gf. Although I still love my M2s, I think black goes better with my setup. The Omnis without springs are 42g.

Edit addendum (6/4): I liked these skewers so much that last weekend I picked up some red colored ones to go with my Tarmac.

Just wish that the cam washer and nut were also the same color as the lever instead of just the default black.

After 3 weeks using the black skewers, 600 miles, no issues to report.
Attachments
Skewers Wt.jpg
Skewers.jpg
OmniRacer skewers red.jpg

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Is there something I'm missing with KCNC here?

They seem to be very popular!

Tried looking for a thread specifically on them...and the search results are :shock:

sfmrz

by sfmrz

If I had to take my wheel on and off alot, then I would lean towards the KCNC.

For light QR's, I have been using the M2 Racers and I am happy with them except for quick wheel changes, the springs would help.
Good Deed Best Interest

The highest compliment I can receive is the referral of your friends, family and business associates.

Thank you for your trust.

Dalai

by Dalai

Tinea Pedis wrote:Is there something I'm missing with KCNC here?

Tried looking for a thread specifically on them...and the search results are :shock:

Check out Madcows review - http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... =69&t=5029

clingenpeel

by clingenpeel

The omni racer skewers in the pic still have the slotted cam nut (like the M2 racer), instead of the complete round cam nut like the KCNC...you have to line it up just right to close...major annoyance. I own a pair of the M2's and KCNC, and I wouldn't buy a pair of skewers with the M2 design cam nut again.

Strong Bad

by Strong Bad

The low amount of cam travel with the Omini's is a deal breaker for me.
I love the KCNCs (I have two sets now).
I have a very lightly used set of red Omni Racers I'll sell cheap.
I think they suck.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Dalai wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:Is there something I'm missing with KCNC here?

Check out Madcows review - http://fairwheelbikes.com/forum/viewtop ... =69&t=5029

Many thanks!

Oh and can I gather that a larger amount of cam travel is good?

Strong Bad

by Strong Bad

Cam travel determines the amount of space between the "open" position, and the "closed" position of the skewer. With insufficient cam travel, you will probably have to adjust the nut on the end opposite the cam/lever to get your skewer tight. It also determines how tight you can get the skewer when going from fully open to fully closed. I like my skewers tight, especially on the rear wheel, and with the Omni's, I spent way too much time adjusting the nut, thereby completely eliminating the "quick" from "quick release".

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Ah ha, thank you!

Oh, I love your name! That cartoon is hilarious!

kenyoncycleist

by kenyoncycleist

combined with the Ti and the shoddy strength cam your wheels will rub the brake pads when climbing etc..not worth the weight savings.

by Weenie

DIRT BOY

by DIRT BOY

Get the Far and Near QR's Same design but with a different handle.

DIRT BOY