HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Lightweight Road Cranks
PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:55 pm 

:D Has anyone out there bought ought from"Fly Sports" in the USA? They are producing what looks like an awesome Ti crank/BB 2-piece combo for MTB & road bikes...complete weight= 375g!!! Not bad price either $450! I am in England and cant check out this company too easily, can any of you Yanky Weight Weenies help?
Cheers PK

Post subject: Lightweight Road Cranks
Posted: Sun Oct 06, 2002 4:55 pm 
  • 75.00 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 288 components

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 4:47 pm 
Hi Mate

Think the cranks that you are after is on site www.negmass.com.

As for your other question about expander plug, do a search for a bloke called Sandro Mura on the net, he does a magnesium one that weighs in at 5grams. Only problem is that you have to glue it into the fork. Not to sure if I am comfy with that. as for the top cap check out ax-lightness topcap. 4 grams with bolt you can get one from them or from www.poshbikes.com. The guy at poshbikes is getting in some very interesting carbon bolts, only able to get 6mm bolts at the moment, and I am not sure how long, but they are immenent. from what I have heard a 6mm 25mm long bolt did not even register on the scale, so less than one gram, and the tensile tsrenght is stronger than steel, this shoudl help with you plug as well.

But please let me know if you find a good light plug other than the Mura as I have been on the prowl for a while now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:45 pm 
Sorry mate

pinted you in the wrong direction the ones that fly do are on this site www.fly-sports.com just check on the home page they have a link leading to stats and pics.

The Negmass ones apparantly weight in at 325grams, but I cannot confirm this for definite, will email them to find out a bit more also if it is Ti you want check out www.m2racer.com they are very interesting, not available yet, still working on them, but 222grams for a pair of cranks with spider seems a bit unbelievable, but it is true so we shall wait and see even with BB will still be lighter than fly combo, but maybe not as strong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 10:49 pm 

Hi, I have the fly-sports propeler cranks on order but they are still making them. Seems they make em' in batches and not everything is made inhouse. There doesn't seem to be an index of how stiff they are. I asked them and they said they make the FSA cranks seem like a wet noodle. Not very verifiable but I got the point. Thet're also working on a new system that moves the bearings to a more outboard position or something like that. Hope they come in soon. I can't wait to see them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:00 pm 

Check this one http://www.m2racer.com/products.php?cat=3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 2:27 pm 

The M2s' look like a prototype the way they are built. I'm not saying that they are, just that they look like it. Two tubes is a good idea.
I'm still waiting for my Fly-Sports propeler cranks. I e-mailed them last week and they said they would have the parts they were waiting on this week ( 4/1). I've been waiting for these cranks for about 6 moinths now. This is really stretching my patience to the limit. This is the first time I've bought such a special small production item. I'm used to seeing a part, and then coming to a decision, and buying it. This 6 month wait makes me think about the purchase after the decision more than I like. I don't get to gloat over it soon enough. I want them in my hands. AUGGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 4:14 pm 

They look great, let's hear from you when get them and have testet them

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 11:01 pm 

To popawheelie

So you would suggest not to order them because they can't make them in period that is less than 6 months or is it so only with your case??

It is perfect idea to make the combo and as I understand they fit MTB too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:05 am 

to Karlux
The comunication with them has been so so . Maybe they are busy making cranks. Sometimes they don't answer the phone or return my e-mails. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: They make them in batches and I ordered when they were making a batch. A supplier went belly up on them also. I think they are a relitively small shop making a very nice product. I would probably run a shop like theirs the same way. I was expresing frustration on the wait. The new price is $ 600 usd. I am supposed to get them next week. I'll post here either way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 8:58 pm 

To all interested in the fly-sports cranks. Thier 800 number is no longer in service. They have not arrived and they cashed my check. They are not answering my e-mails. I'm not sure what to do. I haven't lost hope yet but the out look is not sure at all. I'll keep you informed. I have waited so long for these cranks it seems a shame if they don't come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:27 am 

Got them on the phone and had a few pointed questions for them about when I was going to get the cranks. They said within the month. That's about 7 mo's waiting time. The 800 number is back on. They said they have had alot of work lining up the proccess and suppliers for these. I'll post when or if I get them :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject: Keep Chasing
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 10:16 pm 

Keep on their backs popawheelie, I'd like to see them succeed in their efforts to make them, but I wont be ordering the negmass's till I can bolt them on the bike.

Post subject: Flysports
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:02 pm 
I just called them today, their phone is disconnected.....and there seems to be no e-mail address I could find on their site.

2 strikes and your out in my opinion...I can't believe a business would conduct themselves like that...too bad, if they were more accountable I would have purchased a cranckset......

Post subject: Flysports-papawheelie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 7:05 pm 
popawheelie, I would suggest you contact the Colorado Attorney General's Office and file a complaint for fraud and also file a complaint with the US Post Office for Interstate Wire Fraud. Ask them for their assistance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:23 pm 
I actually visited them as they live close by me in Houston, Texas.
The address on there website is of a residential apartment block, I was expecting a factory or a shop, I actually have pics at home to confirm this.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:23 pm 
  • 75.00 € (including 19% VAT)
  • 288 components

Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next