Kore Kross Cantilever Brakes first impressions

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

Thrice

by Thrice

Last Wednesday I picked up a pair the new 'cross brakes from Kore Components. I've been struggling with the brake setup on my Salsa Chili Con Crosso due to the poorly positioned canti bosses on the frame. Once I saw the pictures of these brakes on Trebon’s bike I knew I had to have them. Since I started racing ‘cross (12 seasons now) I’ve had Dia Comp, Mafac, SRP and most recently Spooky. Except for the Dia Comp’s none of the brakes have had adjustable pads until the Kore’s (unless you count bending stuff).

The Kore brakes are heavier than the Spooky brakes (I got ~170g for brakes, pads, straddle cable and hanger) but well worth the weight penalty. Adjustments are plentiful on these brakes. First the pads are typical V-brake style with convex/concave washers for pad alignment and variable thickness washers to get the spacing correct. Then the springs each have individual tension adjustment. And finally the hanger has pinch bolts to keep it centered on the straddle wire.

Construction is top notch. The arms are forged aluminum with brass inserts for the cantilever post. The pinch bolt on the left arm is even on a pivot instead of being fixed to the arm. Then even thought to include “hooks” to keep the excess cable out of the way.

These perform better than any brake I’ve had so far. Being able to dial in the pad placement is fantastic. No more squealing brakes and no more fork shudder! Looking at the brake arms I thought they were shorter than the Spookies but they are in fact the same length.

The brakes are also reasonably priced at $35USD per wheel, about half the price of Spooky. And if that isn’t enough on the back of the box they tease me with the promise of “Elite carbon Ti” version!

ADP

by ADP

where can I buy these online? look great!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ejpres

by ejpres

I just made the exactly same experience, pretty much down to every tiny bit about your explanation, but with the new Tektro CR 720.
Except for the shape of the arms they have pretty much everything in common, especially apparently (outstanding) breaking qualities.

timbat

by timbat

I'm very interested in these brakes. You said no shuddering or squealing, was that a feature of other brakes on the WCS fork ?

Thrice

by Thrice

Totally eliminated any shuddering and squealing! Being able to dial in the brake pad position is the key to quiet, smooth brakes. There isn't even a hint of brake shudder now that I have the Kore brakes. I had been running Spooky brakes on my WCS fork. I tried three different pads (all toed in properly) and they all shudder and squealed.

I raced them again this weekend and have nothing but praise for these brakes. Well worth the money.

Skyleth

by Skyleth

thanks for the writeup, definitely nice to have that kind of adjust ability w/o the price of the paul's!

I saw wicks had was using a road brake pad holder on his bike to make it easier to swap pads for different conditions.
Rule #1. Superheroes Wear Tights

timbat

by timbat

Thanks for the feedback ! Do you have a way to get any cable adjustment in the system, or it is not needed ?

For instance, with Mini-Vs I've been running a Jagwire adjustable 90 degree noodle to get some adjustment into the system.

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

you could always do this:

Thrice

by Thrice

Currently I have no cable adjustmant in the system. I haven't found that I need to so far but it would be nice to have. The Kore brakes have nice pinch bolts which don't destroy the cable. Unfortunately you can't use 520 Dan's technique as the Kore brakes don't use a barrel end like the Spooky.

movemint

by movemint

they can use a barrel. you just have to you a section of regular brake cable, instead of a straddle cable and put a barrel on the end. I'm sure someone could make it happen with a few canti brake parts or the barrel thingy from an STI shifter.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

520Dan,
You have a better photo of how to set that adjuster up? Looks great!

zank

by zank

timbat

by timbat

I'm a fan too. Not as powerful as the Tektro RX5 mini-Vs I had, but they don't squeal on the Redline Carbon cross fork I have either.

They have heaps more pad travel than the mini-Vs too, so adjustability isn't such an issue.

I think they are very quiet as fork flex doesn't affect them since they are confined in the vertical.

bc sparks

by bc sparks

I just ordered a pair through my LBS and put them on for my cross race this weekend...and they squeal and shudder like crazy. They came with different pads than the one shown in the above pictures, they have a road style pad that I can't toe in. I mounted them on my Ridley Supercross w/ python fork. Anyone have any ideas on how I can improve the performance?

Müsing

by Müsing

any news about the kore brake?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com