Drilling holes in CF frames to save weight

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
HanSolo

by HanSolo

Hi,

I am interested in drilling holes through the seat tube of my Kestrel Evoke to save weight. It looks like a sturdy bike and I feel that the seat tube is not very structural....any thought? How about the top tube?
Everything can be drilled, except tires.

by Weenie

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Are you serious? :roll:

Drill away and see what happens. You'll enjoy picking out a new frame when the current one unravels.

$mokeyJoe

by $mokeyJoe

You're kidding, right?
It'll look pretty cheap and not done!
*Light is beautiful*
BMC SLC01 5900g ... Litespeed Vortex 6300g ... Merida Carbon Lite 7000g ... Velocite Selene 8000g ... Argon18 E114 +/-8500g ... Trek 1500 9500g

Greg66

by Greg66

No, no, I disagree with the previous posters. Go right ahead. Put as many holes in it as you can. Try some in the chainstays too. And the headtube. And the top tube, especially around the junctions. Be sure to report back with the results. I'm already excited at what will happen. :twisted:

CP

by CP

GO, GO, GO HanSolo,
then you will have to buy my C50

ergott

by ergott

I think it will be fun to see what happens at someone else's expense. Be sure to post pics.

If you have carbon wheels you can reduce the weight by drilling out the sidewalls. Gotta reduce that rotating mass;-)

-Eric

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

Rotating mass is most important and tyres are far too heavy, try putting some holes in them too.
:roll:

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

Don´t forget to drill the bottles.

GrahamB

by GrahamB

It would depend if you drill them front-to back, or side-to-side. Both will save weight, but the lateral drilling will cause greater drag. Hence you will have an advantage only on grades above 12.6%, excepting the presence of a significant cross wind.

More advantageous would be to remove the seat-tube entirely with a hacksaw, cutting just above the BB and below the top-tube junction. This will also improve ride quality, but may make the bike ineligible for UCI-sanctioned events.

I've found surprisingly large weight benefits in drilling my bidon...
Graham

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

This is a joke.... I hope?? :roll:

Franziskaner

by Franziskaner

First off, big drill-bit budget drilling holes in epoxy...

Absolutely crazy... but good for a laugh on a Sunday aternoon
mountainbiking - the next best thing to sex

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

I think the only amusing thing is the mockery that is being heaped upon someone who is thinking of doing what this forum used to be about. I'd wait for someone who knows what they're doing to comment before doing anything but I imagine that the chainstays would be a good option for small holes. Good luck with it.

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

Drilling holes in metal is a completely different matter. Metal has the same properties in all directions and so there are some areas that have lots of redundancies(/safety factor etc) built in. Carbon Fibre is a different beastie all together; layers are put together so that a minimal redundancy is present.

The only things that you can remove some material on it those things that bear no loading like headset spacers. NB. I've never understood why no one castleates spacers?

RollinOn27s

by RollinOn27s

stumpytrunks wrote:I think the only amusing thing is the mockery that is being heaped upon someone who is thinking of doing what this forum used to be about. I'd wait for someone who knows what they're doing to comment before doing anything but I imagine that the chainstays would be a good option for small holes. Good luck with it.

Sorry, but no one here has ever drilled holes in carbon fiber frames to lose weight. No one. Never.

stumpytrunks

by stumpytrunks

Agreed, maybe not the best idea, but the idea is what used to make this site. In my thinking you would only be breaking the strands of carbon that you are drilling through, and with small holes you probably aren't going to stuff up too much, structurally speaking, if you are drilling out low stress areas.

Bad idea or not, if he/she is willing to do it and knows the possible consequences, what can be the problem. It's worth a try.

by Weenie