Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About
It is currently Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:54 pm
Recently the board software has been updated and there are some known bugs/failures:
- Avatars are currently not being displayed ✔ FIXED
- Tapatalk connection is currently broken ✔ FIXED
- Avatars cannot be uploaded ✔ FIXED

Please note that we will soon do some changes in WW board template design in case to get a fully mobile/desktop responsiveness board!
If you find more errors please post it here: http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=139062


All times are UTC+01:00





Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Crank Length?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 10:02 pm
Posts: 1944
Location: Getting dropped
Not sure if this is the proper forum but here goes.

I currently ride 175mm cranks and am thinking of going down to 172.5's. I am 5'10 tall and about a 32" inseam. I don't know if that helps or not...I can provide more info if it helps. Will going down to the 172.5's hurt me in any way? I've been told they'd probably actually help me more but I don't know.

_________________
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:51 am
Posts: 1076
Location: Sydney, Australia
There are many schools of thought on crank length - are you able to try both and then decide?
Technically speaking, you will lose some leverage for the bigger gears, but will be able to spin the smaller gears easier - what is your riding style?

How long have you been on 175?

What sort of riding/racing are you doing?

_________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.
-- Frank Zappa


Top
   
 Post subject: Crank Lenght
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 152
I've started on 175's when I was 18. Went back to 172.5's sometime around when I turned pro (20 years old), then switched back to 175's about 2 years ago (24 years old).

My saddle height is 75.5 and I ride 53-39 rings.

I find the longer cranks let me rely more easilly on my muscular strength and can push a larger gear more easilly. Accelaration is hindered slightly with the 175's but as my maximum power has increased over the years, I don't notice the difference when "winding up" any more.

Hope that can help you.

Justin

_________________
Svelte Cycles


Top
   
 Post subject: Re: Crank Lenght
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:00 am 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:05 am
Posts: 397
Location: boston usa
SvelteCycles wrote:
I've started on 175's when I was 18. Went back to 172.5's sometime around when I turned pro (20 years old), then switched back to 175's about 2 years ago (24 years old).

My saddle height is 75.5 and I ride 53-39 rings.

I find the longer cranks let me rely more easilly on my muscular strength and can push a larger gear more easilly. Accelaration is hindered slightly with the 175's but as my maximum power has increased over the years, I don't notice the difference when "winding up" any more.

Hope that can help you.

Justin


the jerk started on 175s when he was 13 years old. when he was 18 he switched to 180s when some old guy told him it'd be better; and since he was giving the jerk the bike to ride the jerk didn't have much choice. sometime around the jerk's early to mid twenties he went to not riding a bike at all so there were no cranks. then a bunch of years later this guy who i quoted made the jerk ride again so the jerk used 180s again.

the jerk uses 180s and 54/42 rings. he has an 84cm saddle height.

the jerk finds the longer cranks feel right and let him push the bigger gears he likes. the bigger gears are great because the jerk is really lazy and he can pedal fewer times and go the same distance. :P

jerk

_________________
the jerk is always right!
the jerk thinks your stem is too short!


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:24 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:51 am
Posts: 1076
Location: Sydney, Australia
thats a big jerk...

_________________
You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.

-- Frank Zappa


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 152
kman wrote:
thats a big jerk...


The Jerk is always right.

Justin

_________________
Svelte Cycles


Top
   
 Post subject: Avatar Pic
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 4:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 152
In my avatar pic of me riding in the Giro. I am most likely not thinking about crank lengths.

Justin

_________________
Svelte Cycles


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:01 am 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:05 am
Posts: 397
Location: boston usa
in the jerk's avatar, the jerk's wife is most certainly not thinking of crank arms either. see you have alot in common.

jerk

_________________
the jerk is always right!

the jerk thinks your stem is too short!


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 152
I hear you are a lot nicer on that other forum.

Justin

_________________
Svelte Cycles


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:11 am 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:05 am
Posts: 397
Location: boston usa
SvelteCycles wrote:
I hear you are a lot nicer on that other forum.

Justin


more obtuse perhaps.

does the jerk look like he cares about crank arm length here?

jerk


Attachments:
tourdecharleroi.jpg
tourdecharleroi.jpg [ 36.83 KiB | Viewed 939 times ]

_________________
the jerk is always right!

the jerk thinks your stem is too short!
Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:15 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 152
jerk wrote:
SvelteCycles wrote:
I hear you are a lot nicer on that other forum.

Justin


more obtuse perhaps.

does the jerk look like he cares about crank arm length here?

jerk


Funny, I was racing for Saeco that year and didn't see you on the circuit. Is that you in the Lotto kit?

Justin

_________________
Svelte Cycles


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:15 am 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:05 am
Posts: 397
Location: boston usa
justin-

i'm sorry if i'm being ornery. i haven't ridden in 10 days because harold lent my bike to a customer on the one day off i took! you should see how awesomely fat i am getting.

jerk

_________________
the jerk is always right!

the jerk thinks your stem is too short!


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:18 am 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:05 am
Posts: 397
Location: boston usa
SvelteCycles wrote:
jerk wrote:
SvelteCycles wrote:
I hear you are a lot nicer on that other forum.

Justin


more obtuse perhaps.

does the jerk look like he cares about crank arm length here?

jerk


Funny, I was racing for Saeco that year and didn't see you on the circuit. Is that you in the Lotto kit?

Justin


if i had twice the talent and four times the skills i still wouldn't have ever gotton to ride with lotto so no. plus that is charleroi circa 1994 i think.

jerk

_________________
the jerk is always right!

the jerk thinks your stem is too short!


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:19 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:38 pm
Posts: 152
jerk wrote:
justin-

i'm sorry if i'm being ornery. i haven't ridden in 10 days because harold lent my bike to a customer on the one day off i took! you should see how awesomely fat i am getting.

jerk


Doooode! No worries. Like I said before. Buy a Trek 1100 with safety brakes and a happy-vague gel saddle. Spray paint the entire thing black. Harlond will never loan it out!

Justin

_________________
Svelte Cycles


Top
   
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:21 am 
Offline
in the industry
User avatar

Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:05 am
Posts: 397
Location: boston usa
SvelteCycles wrote:
jerk wrote:
justin-

i'm sorry if i'm being ornery. i haven't ridden in 10 days because harold lent my bike to a customer on the one day off i took! you should see how awesomely fat i am getting.

jerk


Doooode! No worries. Like I said before. Buy a Trek 1100 with safety brakes and a happy-vague gel saddle. Spray paint the entire thing black. Harlond will never loan it out!

Justin


i know...but lotto wasn't even a team in 1994!

jerk

_________________
the jerk is always right!

the jerk thinks your stem is too short!


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 Next

   Similar Topics   Author   Replies   Views   Last post 
There are no new unread posts for this topic. large giant tcr crank length?

in Road

tacostand

5

338

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:04 pm

Alpine318is View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Oval Concepts 520 crank vs 5750 crank weights?

in Road

kkapdolee

0

450

Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:18 pm

kkapdolee View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Q. tubeless valve length?

in Road

ohhyeok90

5

367

Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:13 am

ohhyeok90 View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Giant TCR SL ISP/ Stem length?????????

in Road

upside

6

532

Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:06 pm

wingguy View the latest post

There are no new unread posts for this topic. Cervelo R5, size 56 : seat tube length ?

in Road

cedced74

11

414

Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:47 pm

rpenmanparker View the latest post


All times are UTC+01:00


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Norregard, tomyboy123, topflightpro, Yahoo [Bot] and 13 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited