HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:06 am 

XL_Carbon wrote:
My bad...your post isn't too heavy relative to mine which I thought came with your bike. Mine's the SP Pave with the insert in it @246g. I couldn't tell which you had in your pic.

About saddles, well, granted everyone's got different experiences, when I rode an m2 carbon saddle for 1 season (last year) my butt got use you to it and for that time it was quite comfortable but when I broke it and went back to an SLR I didn't realize how comfy padded saddles are. :)

It did come with my bike and it does have a zertz insert but it is the S-works SL which is different to the normal pave.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:15 pm 

Here is my Tarmac SL after I changed the groupset from DA to Record.
Final weight is 6620gr (verified) including bottle cages, which I think came out pretty well considering the lack of exotic parts and a 1520gr wheelset.

Here is the finished bike:

and here is the build list:

Now the only thing missing is a carbon tubula wheelset which would save me approx. 300-400gr (no Lightweights or Lews, too expensive :cry: )

Post subject:
Posted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:15 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:25 pm 

Much better with Campy. Great choice.
I have a black and red S-Works Roubaix with Record and think its a sweet combo- but I'm biased.
You probably wont be getting much mileage out of those tires- Hutchinson make some black and red ones that would look good with your wheels and last a long time.
If you pick up a set of carbon tubulars -get some deeper rims and you will have all your options covered.
Enjoy the ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:02 am 

coloclimber wrote:
Much better with Campy. Great choice.
I have a black and red S-Works Roubaix with Record and think its a sweet combo- but I'm biased.
You probably wont be getting much mileage out of those tires- Hutchinson make some black and red ones that would look good with your wheels and last a long time.
If you pick up a set of carbon tubulars -get some deeper rims and you will have all your options covered.
Enjoy the ride.

I suppose you are right, a set of Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX is already bought and waiting to be installed when the Contis bite the bullet. Still I have approx. 800km on them and they are looking ok so far apart from a few cuts.
As far as wheels are concerned I was thinking something like Corima Aero+ but I haven't decided whether I will buy a complete wheelset or build them myself. Anyway I have stretched my bike budget too much this year so I will just enjoy the ride for the time being...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:36 pm 

Finaly I bit the bullet and the missing part is missing no more. A set of Lew Pro VT-1 with Tune hubs courtesy of Adrien arrived last week.
With this I consider the bike more or less complete.
So without further due (always wanted to write that :) ) I present you my bike:

(again)

I have not weighed the complete bike in this configuration but considering the weight difference of the Lews to the DTs the final weight should be around 6.200gr

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:14 pm 

Location: Seattle ZOO - AfterReceivingComplaints, MyAvatarIsNowChanged. IGiveYouMySexyMug.
Taz wrote:
(no Lightweights or Lews, too expensive :cry: )

HeHe! They are hard to resist (^_^).

There's one more thing, the MOST IMPORTANT thing to add... Your butt on the seat, feet attached to the pedals and hands wrapped around the bars.

Click THIS to hear what happens when I see your and my weenie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:24 pm 

At the time of that statement Lew did not make the VT-1 rims only the complete wheels... :twisted:
As far as my butt is concerned, it is kinda hard to take photos of the bike while sitting on the bike :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:50 pm 

that's one of the four nicest specializeds I've ever seen ... and certainly by far the most high-end.

hats off!!

what tubs are they may I ask?

How do the LEws ride?

My only suggestion is to knock another 30g or so off with Keo Ti pedals with the red and black colour scheme to go with the rest.

Nice though!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:16 pm 

They look like FMBs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:43 am 

Thanks guys.
Skunk is right the tubs are cotton FMBs.

As far as the wheels are concerned they are fantastic. I have ridden some other similar wheelsets (Zipp 303 etc) and I can say that these are a lot better.
First they feel stiffer. This probably has to do with the 28 3x rear with tied spokes and the wonderful job Adrien did. They feel stiffer than my alu clinchers (DT240s+RR1.1+cx-rays, 28radial front, 32 3x rear with double eyelets and a tension of 1100N front and 1200N rear DS)
The finish of the rims is amazing, a lot better than photos of other Lew rims I have seen over the net. It seems they got their production and/or QC sorted.
Finally the braking is unbelievable for a carbon rim. It is even better than my RR 1.1 rims (the pads I use at the moment are stock Record). There is some grabbiness (is that a word?) and some judder (like most carbon rims I have tested) but the braking power is phenomenal even in prolonged decents (we have lots of those here :D )
Last but not least the tubs are also very good. Very supple and grippy. I can't say anything about durability so far since it is too early.

OT I have decided to sell the frameset. It is a little big for me and I want to go for a 52. So far the Tarmac SL2 seems the most prominent candidate. I have test ridden it and it feels simply amazing. Stiffer than mine (which is not bad in the stiffness department), comfortable and quick.
I have test ridden also the new Orca Evo which I liked and found it A LOT better than the older one but it felt a little slow up front and not quite as stiff.
Cervelos are out of the question with their geometry in small sizes.
Colnagos too expensive and heavy. The same goes for Time and Look (at least the expensive part).
Canyons have a massive head tube length and a very steep seat tube angle which effectively gives them the same reach.
The Madone 6.9 is also more expensive and I do not hear so good things about it (although a very good friend and cyclist who's opinion I value claims it is fantastic, stiff comfortable and very inspiring when descending, he also has an SLC-SL)
The only other bike that seems worth considering is the Addict which although not as stiff as the Specialized is 200gr lighter.
Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:34 am 

not sure i agree that Looks are expensive and heavy. the 586 can be had on special discount now and isn't heavy ... about the same as the SL2 once the seatpost and fork are accounted for I think.

even the 585 with the sub 300g fork is still a competitively weight weenie frameset and can be had for less than an SL2 ... not as stiff and up to the minute I'd agree though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:45 am 

Taz wrote:

Colnagos too expensive and heavy. The same goes for Time and Look (at least the expensive part).

:wink:

About the price if you can find me a price of around 2000euros for the 586 or 595 I will gladly consider it. That just leaves having to find one to test ride first :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:47 pm 

:lol: http://www.magazineclassifieds.co.uk/se ... 004c891461

seriously, these guys are doing a 586 build with Ultegra SL for £2500 which is not bad (shame to put non WW kit on a WW frame though?)

http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/

depends where you are ... the Tarmac SL was much cheaper here in the UK than the SL2 which is more up in the 586 price range ... that must be to justify the £5k price of the full bike which is a joke IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:49 pm 

Your camera is great ;)

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... 8e319d185b

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:57 pm 

@Sawyer
You are right about the location thing.
Here the 2006 SL had a MSRP of 2800euro (no I did not pay that amount) the 2007 SL and the 2008 SL2 have a MSRP of 2500euro.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:57 pm 

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next