HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page 1, 2  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:05 pm 

I'm selling my frame on ebay and the guy with the high bid is from Norway. While I didn't origianally plan to sell it outside the US he has agreed to pay the excess shipping charges in the event that he wins.

So what's the best way to ship to Norway from the US. I went to UPS yesterday to inquire about shipping charges and the guy smirked and said, "well I estimate it to be about $300". Whoa! So I looked up USPS online and they are offering Global Express Mail for less than $75. So is this what you guys do that do this sort of thing regularly?

Last edited by drjones96 on Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:13 pm 

oops

Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:13 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:17 pm 

i only use fedex for intl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:17 pm 

I shipped a frame from the US to Oz with Global Express Mail. Came to just under $70.

Make sure the box measures less than 108" taking into account length, width, height and girth. I think your luck at the post office will also depend on who serves you at the counter. I received three different quotes from three different people in the same post office before I found out about GEM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:39 pm 

Ok thanks guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:04 pm 

Box Measures 52"L x 29"W x 8"D and weighs 13 lbs.

It says on the USPS website "Dimensions: Max.length 60", max. length plus girth 108"....what is this girth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girth

This says it's Girth = 2(W + D). Is that how they measure it? If so then I'm good.

Last edited by drjones96 on Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:10 pm 

DHL is usually around $100 for a frame, and it's trackable and probably faster than USPS.

Pegoretti Love #3: It's here!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:17 pm 

the USPS site should tell you exactly what the girth is (look for some note on the same page has the price chart), don't have time to look it up for you but from what I remember it is simply L+D+W.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:20 pm 

DHL is going to be more expensive than that. They only offer next day sevice for international. I looked at sending a wheelset from the USA to Europe & it would have been ~$250.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:21 pm 

pritchet74 wrote:
DHL is going to be more expensive than that. They only offer next day sevice for international. I looked at sending a wheelset from the USA to Europe & it would have been ~$250.

Yeah that sounds like UPS too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:38 pm 

DHL is the sh!ts, and I don't mean that in a good way. Pritchet sent me some wheels, and the DHL guy left em outside of my house, on the doorstep. Thank good they were still there when I got home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:42 pm 

brianwchan wrote:
DHL is the sh!ts, and I don't mean that in a good way. Pritchet sent me some wheels, and the DHL guy left em outside of my house, on the doorstep. Thank good they were still there when I got home.

Unfortunately this is the norm for all services that deliver to my house DHL, UPS, USPS Oversized, FedEx etc...yeah they just drop it on my doorstep. I really don't have much choice because I typically work during their open hours so I couldn't go down and pick it up from them. I'm positive we've had stuff stolen from our doorstep before....Luckily it was just BS from Old Navy and not something important like wheels or other expensive bike parts :lol: But luckily I have a rug on my doorstep that the UPS man uses to throw over boxes to try to hide them....LMAO...."Is that a three foot tall box under that rug or is it just a tall rug?"...LMAO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:56 pm 
Resident Pro

do us postal service and insure it. you must check the country's measurements for norway, and you will need to fill out customs forms and insurance forms. girth is the measurement completely around the box. if its a small frame, no problem. but it gets much more difficult to meet the specs if it is a large frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:00 pm 

mike wrote:
do us postal service and insure it. you must check the country's measurements for norway, and you will need to fill out customs forms and insurance forms. girth is the measurement completely around the box. if its a small frame, no problem. but it gets much more difficult to meet the specs if it is a large frame.

I guess that's what worries me. I'm now positive that it meets the USPS standards based on what I know now but not so positive about how the locals on the other side of the pond handle things....and yeah it's a 60cm frame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:03 pm 
Resident Pro

drjones96 wrote:
mike wrote:

I guess that's what worries me. I'm now positive that it meets the USPS standards based on what I know now but not so positive about how the locals on the other side of the pond handle things....and yeah it's a 60cm frame.
if it meets usps for norway requirements, u are ok.

Post subject:
Posted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:03 pm 

Go to page 1, 2  Next