Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:37 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:09 pm 

I hope the MODS will indulge me for my 1000th post, this is after-all cycling related and hopefully I'll be riding my Pegoretti by then.

I know many of you are approached on a daily basis for donations and charity, and I, being the self-sufficient person that I am hate to be the sort to ask for charity. However, this is one of the very few times I think a cause is worthy, and I want to help as much as I can.

The 24 Hours of Booty (http://www.24hoursofbooty.com) is a 24 hour road cycling event in downtown Charlotte, NC USA based around the 2.97mi "Booty Loop" which circles around the campus of Queens University of Charlotte. Kicking off Friday July 28th and going for 24 straight hours through Saturday July 29th. This will be the 5th iteration of the Booty fundraiser, this year sponsored by Hearst Publishing Corp, one of the world's largest magazine publishers.

The 24 Hours of Booty benefits the Lance Armstrong Foundation (http://www.laf.org) and The Brain Tumor Fund for the Carolinas (http://www.charlottecriterium.org/theCause.asp), you can read about their respective goals on their websites if you aren't already familiar. Many of you I'm sure know what the LAF is about.

The goal for this year's Booty is to raise $400,000 USD. I've set my personal fundraising goal at $3000, that's a measly .75% of the total goal! I've got just under 1 month to make the numbers and I need your help! Take a look at all the links I've provided, you'll see this is a serious, legitimate fundraiser that is set to become a nationwide (maybe one day world-wide, like the Ride for the Roses!) symbol of generosity. I have people travelling from Knoxville, TN over 4 hours away to participate and help as my support crew and have friends and family from all over the US and Canada donating.

All this said, what can you do?

Donate! Two ways you can do this, either go to the Booty website, find the donate now button and then navigate to my name under the list of fundraisers (I'm listed as Nicholas Good) or see here: http://www.active.com/donate/booty2006/NickGood

Don't have the money? Then donate some of your time! Repost this to your friends and family and ask them to help a worthwhile cause. Get a collection together with a bunch of people you work with, if everyone at your job donates just a dollar, think of what you can come up with! There are so many ways you can help.

I'm happy to take donations of baked goods as go-food for the ride. Just kidding. Oh, I didn't tell you did I? I'm going to ride as many of the 24 hours as I possibly can. I'm shooting for 20 hours or about 250 miles of saddle time.

All of this comes back to one great personal cause; The memory of my aunt Rowena Good, she passed away of Leukemia in April of 1998. Help me honor her memory and her family, and help those who are still in the battle against cancer.

Sincerely,
Nick
-Nexusheli

Pegoretti Love #3: It's here!!!

Last edited by nexusheli on Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Posted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:09 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:42 pm 
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

Good luck with this Nick. Donation made :thumbup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:51 pm 

A great thank you to LJ for being the first WW to donate to the cause!

I know there are more generous Weenies out there, I will be sending a small thank you to everyone who donates!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:03 pm 

im going to be in charlotte during that time...wasnt planning on bringing my bike with me, but it looks like i have a very good reason now...can i register the day of, if im able to attend?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:36 pm 

gregc wrote:
im going to be in charlotte during that time...wasnt planning on bringing my bike with me, but it looks like i have a very good reason now...can i register the day of, if im able to attend?

Greg,

You can only register up to the 21st of July, that's 1 week prior to the event. If you check out the website (24hoursofbooty.com) you can find the answers to all your questions on the registration page. To make it quick and easy for you, it's $85 ($35 registration fee plus a $50 donation), this gets you a swag bag and t-shirt. It can all be done from the website.

Let me know if you're riding for sure, I'd be happy to meet a fellow WW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:47 pm 

Nick
I hope you will be wearing some well padded shorts....! Small donation made as well.

Peter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:36 pm 

peterb_bt wrote:
Nick
I hope you will be wearing some well padded shorts....! Small donation made as well.

Peter

Big thanks to you as well Peter.

I plan on taking a number of different shorts and probably two bikes so I can change positions and shorts often. The last thing I want is to be stuck in the same position for 18~20 hours or to be stuck in the same shorts for that time. Chamois cream and baby powder will also have a prominant spot in my gym bag!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:30 pm 

Here I thought this had some steam...

C'mon guys, sacrifice a training tire or two and help out a good cause. Don't let LJ and Peter take all the WW glory!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:34 pm 

nexusheli wrote:
Here I thought this had some steam...

You do and there isnt really any glory in cancer other than the hope you give to others by doing what you're doing. C'mon guys.....lets help our fellow weenie out and offer some support :thumbup:

FAIRWHEEL BIKES U.S.A.!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:56 am 

bumped

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:24 am 

Bump!

This is serious guys, I really hope you'll take a moment out of your busy lives and help out the many people in the world who are fighting cancer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:28 pm 

I suppose I'll bump this one more time in hopes that some WW out there other than Lee and Peter has a heart

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:44 pm 

Website works again and donation made, although iam daily helping to fight cancer this is a very good initiative. In memory of my grandfather !!
Jos.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:42 pm 

Good for you Jozuph, your grandfather would no doubt be proud.

FAIRWHEEL BIKES U.S.A.!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:54 pm 

jozuph wrote:
Website works again and donation made, although iam daily helping to fight cancer this is a very good initiative. In memory of my grandfather !!
Jos.

Indeed, thank you Jozuph!

Post subject:
Posted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:54 pm