* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Blog NEW Galleries NEW FAQ Contact About Impressum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:54 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:12 am 
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

Hello guys,

I've been getting a lot of PM's from you all about making a contribution to the flowers that WE ALL sent for Bill's funeral. The cost of these were insignificant in the scheme of things but I sense there is a general feeling from you all to personally help out in some way. I didnt want to dilute Bill's memorial thread into a general discusssion on this, hence this topic.

Its already been stated that the family might perhaps like donations to various Cerebral Palsy centres, the details of which are contained in the above thread, but this also got me thinking about Amy Gillett and the support Bill has shown to this cause. Its just an idea, but I thought maybe we could direct our attention to either making a direct donation to the Amy Gillett Foundation or maybe using a central paypal account to make contributions and then the paypal owner making a total donation once all our contributions have been collected. Remember this is just an idea and is open to discussion.

In addition I like the idea of some sort of "lasting" memorial to Bill on the site. Cliff suggested Bill's initials in the top right of the home page. Maybe this with a simple "memorial - member 4th Nov 2004 - 11th March 2006" with a hidden link to his memorial thread?

Anyway, all just ideas for you to ponder over.......

Last edited by LJ on Wed May 03, 2006 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:47 am 

Great initiative LJ! And thanks for arranging the flowers from us all, I know a lot of people here appreciate it very much.
For the people that don't know here is a small copy of the site of the Amy Gillett Foundation

The Amy Gillett Foundation has three main aims:

* To provide support for the rehabilitation of Amy's five injured team-mates
* To fund and administer a scholarship program for young women cyclists to support their sporting and academic endeavours
* To support and promote projects aimed at road safety awareness amongst cyclists and motorists

I think its a great cause and have made a donation in memorial of Bill as he seemed to think so too and sadly he died riding his motorcycle... :cry:

thank you LJ

Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:47 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:55 am 
WW of the Year 2005

Lee, first of all I want to express my appreciation -and I think I can speak for many WWs here- for the efforts you are doing since we heard this sad news about Bill.
But probably the nicest thing you have done for big fellow is with the signed arm-warmer. This just being an example of what many weight weenies have done for him, by making his time on this forum worthwhile...
Sadly enough I'm well aware how precious our time on earth is, and whenever you can make a smile on some one elses face, don't hesitate!

Let's do some thinking in this thread, to see what we can do. I would like to hear some ideas from others as well here.

I think having his initials somewhere can't be a problem. Or could some one write an article about Bill; this article could be on the home page of Weight Weenies.

We might consider to give the Amy Gillett Foundation a free banner (permanently or temporary) on this forum, as a tribute to Bill.

At last, I hope some one can gather all the nice words written about Bill in the memorial thread, print it out in a nice way and send it to his relatives and friend. Can this be done? Having lost one of my relatives recently, I know how heart-warming it was to recieve a couple of kind words written on an internet board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:38 am 

I agree with Casran on giving a printed version of the memorial thread to relatives/friends. Chances are, they don't visit the site themselves and i reckon that they can use every little bit of support right now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 12:24 pm 

The Amy Gillet Foundation would be not just a very worthy cause, but very topical as it was set up to fight for the rights and help with the recovery of cyclists on the roads with cars.

Post subject: Amy Gillett Foundation
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:11 pm 

That's an inspired idea. It would be great if we could arrange a banner (if it's OK with mods and our sponsors) on this site. Idealy we could link to an AGF PayPal account. That will make it easy for everyone to chip in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:56 am 

Great ideas all around guys!

@Lee- Thank you very much. It means a lot to us that you sent flowers on behalf of us WW's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:32 am 

Maybe the mods can add what Lee wrote in the other thread:

Bill, may a strong tailwind be behind you for the rest of eternity!

in small below his 'Big Fellow' in the space you have next to the thread. I don't know how to explain better, but I was thinking of space where it says 'ww of the year 2005' in all C a s r a n's posts, I have seen a few others that have something written there as well. That way we could remember him every time we search through old posts.

I also think it would be appropriate to add something in his profile and make sure that his family doesn't get any mails or pm's from (new to come) members of this forum that don't know what has happened.

I also think an article about Bill in the articles section would be nice, but only if it's written by somebody who really knew him as a person.

I think his familie and friends would like to have all the replies of support in the other thread in print as well, they probably don't think of looking here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:14 pm 

Thanks Lee! We all appreciate your time and effort.

Casran, I had the very same thought regarding putting something together for his family and friends to read. I think this will be a very meaningful excercise.

Another suggestion - How about following the theme of WW of the Year and Manu. of the Year and have another award or rename an existing award in Bigfellow's honour? A tribute, fitting for all of us to remember him and enjoy the short time he spent with us.

Just thought of another award, how about Newbie of the year - The Bigfellow award?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:30 pm 

Thanks for the replies Casran, Emmanuel, Cyco, GonaSovereign, drjones96, Boonen and fffastfaz.

It would have been nice to disuss this further and perhaps do something to remember Bill by but in any case I will make my own personal tribute to big fellow, as mentioned in another thread, when I travel to Italy in May.

FAIRWHEEL BIKES U.S.A.!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:24 am 

Lee - Assume Madonna del Ghisallo! I think they sell badges there or a pendant of some kind. It's my ambition to go there, but don't think it will be until October. I would like to tie it in with a trip to see the Tour of Lombardy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:42 am 

Yes KB. I'm going to climb the Madonna for Bill and etch his name on a rock or something near the church at the top.

The trip is all booked for May. Stefan, LJ and acg so one of us will have a camera and I'll post a picture.

I still hope that Florian can perhaps incorporate a banner to the Amy Gillet foundation on the site in memory of Bill, but it seems the general feeling of wanting to do something is only shared by a few of us :(

FAIRWHEEL BIKES U.S.A.!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:59 am 

appartenly people thend to forget quickly... :cry:
really, it should be possible to put his initials along with something like "memorial - member 4th Nov 2004 - 11th March 2006" (like LJ suggested earlier) in the top right of the page, right?

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:33 pm 

LJ
Before Bill pass away,did he mention to u what he really want beside those sign armwarmers by Erik Zabel? It so sad that we don't really know each other well enough. :(

Post subject: .
Posted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:33 pm 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:46 pm 
Administrator

With the Tour De Georgia coming up and the WW gathering Herbert and I would like to do something but were just not sure what. We may wear black armbands or socks. We are definitley open to suggestions.