In pursuit of less.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

turbo pepper

by turbo pepper

Sounds like you've got everything right.

If you used Cinelli tape, are the Cinelli plugs not lighter than the Zipp plugs ?

KB

by KB

The EC90 straight forks. They look the business and I'm considering them for another build. Are they as good as they look?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KB

by KB

Thanks. I've been using Look HSC's for some time and I'm very happy with them, but was thinking of a change next time, and it will be nice to have straight blade forks for a change.

butted spoke

by butted spoke

I bought a pair last month when I'd exhausted my search for Mizuno Fiandres.
As it happens the fork looks really good on my bike (IMO) and I'm really pleased with it.
Covered only 250km on it so far but it feels fine. I've made quite a few changes in my latest rebuild so it's difficult to say more about the fork in isolation.
A couple of critical dimensions for you; rake is 43mm, crown to axle is 368mm and mine weighed 344g uncut.

Ripley451

by Ripley451

How about the BTP cages?
Vorsprung Durch Tortë http://www.costablancacycling.com/

flying

by flying

[quote="Juanmoretime"

Yes, I also have a EC90SLX on another bike and I really can't tell the difference when riding. I did wish the SLX came in a straight leg version. My SL came in at 333 grams uncut.[/quote]

Looks like a great build / adjustment ;)
I am also wishing I could find a straight leg lightweight fork. I like how they look better than the curved. The only thing I see is the AlphaQ which is an ugly orange & I dont like the aluminum sleeve bit either.

2mnyBikes

by 2mnyBikes

Beautiful bike! Truly a case of less is more . . .
'00 TiSports Titanium
'01 KHS Flite 800
‘02 Ellsworth Flight
'03 Basso Coral
'03 Specialized Allez Pro
'04 Scattante CFR Limited Edition
'05 KHS Flite 2000
'05 Serotta Fierte Steel
'06 Flyte SRS-3
'07 Pedal Force RS

Boonen

by Boonen

Congratulations on lowering the weight even more Juanmoretime! Did you end up replacing the decals on your frame as well?
You could still save some weight by tuning the levers and maybe the rear derailleur if you didn't do that already. Otherwise I think you have a really nice build and I don't think you should change any of the components, although you could always get the weight down some more if you're prepared to spend the extra $$$.

XL_Carbon

by XL_Carbon

Juanmoretime wrote:Thanks to Madcow I just picked up a set of the M2Racer skewers ans they came in 1 gram under the listed weight. He was also able to supply me with some alloy tuning bolts for my derailleurs. I'm also going to consider the M2Racer carbon cages provided I get some good feedback on them.

Let me just say that Victor and Jesse at M2Racer make fanastic products. They've done a lot in their pursuit to providing us weight weenies with even greater weight savings than we can ever image. I wish them continued sussess and no doubt I'll continue to buy their products. I have most of their products on my bike and darn proud of it. :D

However, since you're asking feedback on the M2racer cage, unfortunately on last saturday's Montrose ride in SoCal, I did break my cage and lost my Campy water bottle. The bottle was no big deal to lose but I was unhappy with the failure of the cage. Luckily the riders in my group safely avoided the bottle.

Even though the Ti bolts were secure and tight, I don't think it factored into the reason why the cage broke. Although the breakage/tearing is near the bolt holes on the cage on both ends you'd think that over tightening was a contributing factor. No, the bolts were tight enough. The most likely cause of the failure was material fatigue and constant vibration up and down and side-to-side motion. It appears the bottle twisted and torqued the cage to failure. The road conditions here in SoCal is actually pretty good...from smooth fresh pavement to harsh cracked and potholed asphalt. So I'd say conditions here are what you'd expect of for a cage like this to handle. The cage may look fragile and flimsey but it's hold the bottle tight and secure. My cage has been in service since Oct 05 and has seen over 2500-3000 miles. So, I wasn't complete shocked at the breakage. I got my money's worth. I think if the cage was a little thicker near the bolt holes it wouldn't have cracked and would have provided more service for another 3000 miles.

I did buy a set in Oct so now cage 2 is on my bike...I like to ride with only one bottle as it saves on weight. :wink:

After all this would I buy another set?...you bet. I don't mind spending the cash and it is one of the lightest you can buy.

Gremel

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Quite simply, that bike is so damn impressive I dont know what else to say.

Though how did you tune your derailleurs?

DancingJack

by DancingJack

Impressive one there!Congrats! :)

col hicks

by col hicks

:D i look forward to your updates , bike is looking cool

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

Thanks Juan - I'm guessing theres only small weight savings there, but hey, everything counts. Is there anything different in the way the Fiberlyte "feels" compared to the standard cage?

Skillgannon

by Skillgannon

2 gram saving...I think I'll just invest in a file :) Bit expensive for my taste

That said, I dont have goals for my bike like you do, so congratulations

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

onyourleft

by onyourleft

Skillgannon wrote:Is there anything different in the way the Fiberlyte "feels" compared to the standard cage?

I have the Fiberlyte rear cage plate on a '03 Chorus RD, and if anything I'd say it seems to stiffen the unit slightly and aids in crisper shifting.
Aero beats weight - unless you're slow!