"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

cnbky

by cnbky

did anyone catch the interview with Cav right after the crash on itv, I missed half of it and am curious as to what he got so angry at the reporter for (and took his recorder)

campbellrae

by campbellrae

He was very defensive about the whole thing, but the highlights should be on the ITV player website if you wan to watch the interview again!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IzzyODT

by IzzyODT

prendrefeu wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:A collection of some great photos from Le Tour so far: http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2013/0 ... ion_p.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not sure how many people who read this would understand this reference, and I'll keep it vague...
but there's a whole thread over at /hr/ with 96 photos (as of now).

A person could also use Google Image search -> Advanced -> ≥2MB, last 24hrs to get a plethora of fine imagery.

More clues please

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

From the rider reactions, seems like only Henderson and Tom 'Veerers' himself think it's directly Cav's fault. Even Kittel pointed out that Veelers drifted off line.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

MikeyT

by MikeyT

Interesting post race interview. Stealing a reporters dictaphone and tucking it away in the team bus shows the pressure that Cav is currently feeling.

OK, he was angry at the question thrown at him but ultimately that's not the way to play the media game. Perhaps realisation that the train isn't going to be good enough this year to match his expectations. At the moment he'll be lucky to get more than a couple of stages.

maquisard

by maquisard

Or Cav having the realisation that he isn't lightyears ahead of everyone else in the sprint anymore.

Similarly for the green jersey, how can he even hope to challenge when he is against someone like Sagan who can not only sprint but is an incredible all round rider. Cav had the same problem with Hushovd following the same strategy a few years ago, Sagan is better still.

53x12

by 53x12

canbakay wrote:did anyone catch the interview with Cav right after the crash on itv, I missed half of it and am curious as to what he got so angry at the reporter for (and took his recorder)

A Yankee sounding journalist asks Cav:

Journalist: "Was it your fault Mark?"
Cav: "Was what, was what my fault?"
Journalist: "Why are you taking my tape recorder? Mark I would like my tape recorder back please. I am just asking you a question."
Cav: "What was my fault? I had lost the sprint."

Edit: I think the journalist is Matt Randall.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

if it was some third-tier rookie cyclist who put V down, he would be at least relegated, and y'all would talk how dangerous inexperienced sprinters are :roll:

i feel bad for Cav though, he may be a great sprinter, but he proved himself to be a total jerk too.
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

boysa

by boysa

+1
I'm neither for or against Cav, and I have the utmost respect for his abilities, but what he did today... both during the stage and after... were quite juvenile and reckless. Most anyone else would be vilified.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

djconnel

by djconnel

stella-azzurra wrote:It don't look good for Cav.

To the contrary, it looks to me as if Cav was passing on the right, then V veered across the white line, then Cav tried to avoid him but there was no way (steering the bike right moves the body left; moving the body right moves the bike left), contact and crash.

V's veering move wasn't super-dramatic, but enough to cause the contact.

53x12

by 53x12

I disagree DJ. Veelers, while he might have veered off his line a little, was still ahead of Cav while this was going down by half a bike length. Cav can see Veelers to his left this whole time. Cav also sees Greipel to his left taking off and is trying to cut all the way left, in front of Veelers, thinking he can catch onto Greipel without crashing into Veelers. Cav knew Veelers was there in that Cav was behind Veelers even when V cross over the white line, you see Cav lean his bike left, take up the stance of imminent direct impact rather than staying straight or veering right ever so slightly to avoid contact as he should have done. If Cav stayed straight and/or moved right ever so slightly to complete clear Veelers before trying to get on Greipel's wheel then we wouldn't even be having this conversation. If Cav was trying to get around Veelers by going right, he should have made damn sure he had completely cleared Veelers than only clearing half of Veelers. Rookie mistake that you would see in a cat 5 race imo.

Same old Cav. Same old BS. Same old excuses.

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

kbbpll

by kbbpll

53x12, you miss the part a few frames earlier where Veelers looks right, so he knows exactly where Cav is. He's two feet left of the white line at that point. As Greipel goes, V twitches right, then twitches right again, just as Cav commits. Cav does appear to shoulder into it and I'm not defending him. We do know how the officials saw it.

53x12

by 53x12

I think Cav thought he had enough speed to whip around V to the right and then to the left again to pass him and Cav misjudged his speed/distance in relation to V and we have the ending we have.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

russianbear wrote:Racing incident, move on.

+1
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Bicycle racing.

Love how full of passion and drive Cav is. Dude is the exact opposite of Wiggo and Schleck.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com